Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to do a european mount. I don't want to do the boiling because I don't think my stomach or my neighbours could handle the smell. I have heard a few alternatives that I have never tried but sound like they may be worth a try. Reviews also say n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IanS
    replied
    Thank you 👍

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Oh, okay. Well, it looks good.

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    I glued up as much as I’m going to. It’s gone as far as I’m going to take it.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Far out and groovy!
    Let us know how the repairs go.

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    If I might ask, what are the spots on the top, left skull?
    The rest look super!
    Good job, mi amigo!
    Top left is a deer skull. It was road kill from several years ago and was in pretty rough shape. A friend asked me to try make it better than what it was. There was a lot of dried skin and cartilage on it. I didn’t want to get too aggressive with boiling or chemicals and damage it to the extent that it would be trashed. It was very brittle when I got it.

The spots are actual holes in the skull. Eyes and damage. I’m not thrilled with the outcome but it’s better than it was. Maybe on one of my own non trophy’s I’ll let it get dried up like that so I can practice fixing a mess. Then If I wreck it nobody will care. That was just soaking in water and then peroxide. Badly stained though.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    If I might ask, what are the spots on the top, left skull?
    The rest look super!
    Good job, mi amigo!

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    They are finally done. Just glued up today. The deer was a little crooked and the bottom jaw did not fit up to the skull nicely but overall I’m happy with the end result

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    Rinced off and drying in the sun.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I can't believe you found your thread!

Good job!

Both on finding your thread AND on the skulls! LOL!

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    Today I pulled them out of the peroxide. They are definitely whiter than when I put them in. One of the sheep broke apart a little more than the other 2 but I will still be able to glue it up when it dries. I’ll post pictures of final result after I glue up cracks.

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    Today I broke out the cartilage from all 5 skulls. The deer did not come as clean as I was hoping it would but better than it was. I don’t want to risk damaging it since it’s not mine and is very old and brittle. I put the skulls in peroxide and will glue up the cracks in about 4 days when I take them out. I’ll post pictures of the finished product

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    Checked them again today. A few maggots but way less than last time. Deer head has some stuff still stuck to it that should scrape or rub off with an sos pad.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Trying again to attach images of the fake whitetail skull taxidermy project.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Here's a project finished today. Client brought in a deer skull cleaned with chlorine bleach. Bone was crumbling away. He wanted a reproduction euro skull. A real pain in the arse. It turned out okay ... but not great. Problem with these things is they are one size fits all ... and all poorly. The horns came out a bit too close together. But that's what I had to do to get them to fit in the fake skull. Tried to talk him into a cap mount but he would have none of it. The fella is from Ukraine and that is the European way I guess. It was an all day job. A bit shiny because I had to coat with urethane to stabilize the bone ... what was left of it. Even the base of antlers was starting to deteriorate.

Attachment function is all messed up on this thread. I'll try it with camera function on a new post.

Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 09-07-2020, 10:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Don't forget the Dawn soap when simmering. It will help remove the grease stains. We also add about a third cup of soda ash to the pot. That we order from taxidermy supplies.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad