Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to do a european mount. I don't want to do the boiling because I don't think my stomach or my neighbours could handle the smell. I have heard a few alternatives that I have never tried but sound like they may be worth a try. Reviews also say n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IanS View Post
    I went hunting on Saturday and saw only 1 mulie. No white tail. But I did bring back an old farm size deep freeze from the garbage dump. It should be perfect for how I do them.
    Ian, mi amigo, you can start a new thread! LOL!
    If you just want to keep this one alive, I guess that's okay too.

The two taxidermists I've visited that do the beetle thing, kept them in "retired" freezers they had converted.

Comment

• Could I guess but the conversation I’ve had on this one is something I don’t want to give up!

Yes I agree, I am not the first to use a freezer, I’m just glad I found one I can use. It’s definitely big enough.

Comment

• As I stated (I think?) earlier, the one time I used beetles to clean bones, the bones were vile smelling when I got them back.
        I still had to boil the wing bones in soapy water to get rid of the odor and grease.

Comment

• With maggots they were smelly when I first pulled them out of the barrel but a wash with soapy water was enough to get rid of that.

Comment

• BTW Ian, how are the skull sales doing?
            Making any progress for a southern migration?
            How about getting across the US/Can border?

Comment

• Haven’t sold any yet. Kinda disappointed in that but may take some time. I’m sure they’ll sell eventually but I was expecting them to be gone by now.

Comment

Haven’t sold any yet. Kinda disappointed in that but may take some time. I’m sure they’ll sell eventually but I was expecting them to be gone by now.
                Bummer! Hope it all turns around for you.

Comment

• Well the upside is that the financial investment is pretty low. It’s the hours of disgusting work that worth the high price. Even if I do have to sell for much less than I was hoping to I’ll absolutely cover my expenses and make a profit.

Comment

• Well, that's something. Maybe word of mouth will get out and help you.
                    Good luck!

Comment

• Sold 2 bison heads so far!

Comment

• No sweat. South Texas has been pretty chilly this winter. No big freezes but lots of days in the 40's.
                        So you haven't missed out on much!

Comment

• Sold my last bison skull today!

Comment

Sold my last bison skull today!
                            Did they do as well as you hoped? (not looking for a number!)
                            We woke up to 52° and a 12mph north wind this morning! 😳
                            If diesel prices weren't outta sight, I'd head back to south Texas! LOL!

Comment

• Lower than I started out at but easier to lower price than to increase it.

Comment

• I have not done one but wondering if a power washer would speed the process?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad