Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to do a european mount. I don't want to do the boiling because I don't think my stomach or my neighbours could handle the smell. I have heard a few alternatives that I have never tried but sound like they may be worth a try. Reviews also say n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Ian, just another case of Honk jumping to "contusions"! LOL!
    Can you imagine what that much peanut butter would cost!? A hundred bucks or so.

fitch270 said he put a turkey skull in a peanut butter "jar"! He did not "soak" the skull in peanut butter!

You gotta watch "Mr. Know-It-All"!
    He often reveals himself as "Mr. Knows-Nothing"!
    Yeah, taxidermy is only our business. But I know nothing. Bubba, you're the gold medal champion of know-it-all-who-knows-nothing. Expert with no experience. Or education. Or common sense (e.g. vaccine denial).

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by IanS View Post

Am I reading this right? Soak in peanut butter? How would that have been thought to be tried and for what purpose
    I guess so bacteria would break down the tissue? However, I would think the high salt content in most peanut butter would kill bacteria. High oil content would definately not be good for bone.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied

Am I reading this right? Soak in peanut butter? How would that have been thought to be tried and for what purpose
    Ian, just another case of Honk jumping to "contusions"! LOL!
    Can you imagine what that much peanut butter would cost!? A hundred bucks or so.

fitch270 said he put a turkey skull in a peanut butter "jar"! He did not "soak" the skull in peanut butter!

You gotta watch "Mr. Know-It-All"!
    He often reveals himself as "Mr. Knows-Nothing"!

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
    Soaking a skull in peanut butter would likely leave it stained. Tons of oil in peanut butter. Oil and fat is what you want to remove.

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    That’s the beauty of the maggot method. Put it in a barrel and forget about it for a few weeks. Then voila! Clean skulls. I do like the idea of simmering after maggots have done their part though.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Soaking a skull in peanut butter would likely leave it stained. Tons of oil in peanut butter. Oil and fat is what you want to remove.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    The maceration method is very popular ... but definately won't be popular with the neighbours! It is by far the smelliest method. Gross. It will attract all manner of vermin and probably bears. Our boiling pot can get pretty gross too. Because we live in the city and have dogs, I can't just dump the goo on the ground. So it goes down the toilet. Awful stuff but the stench from dumping maceration soup down the drain would probably put my john out of commission for a week. Also, expect your electricity bill to take a healthy jump if an eighty degree heater is running 24/7 for weeks. Best to insulate and cover the tank if you plan on trying this method.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    A wire paint scraping brush works well between boiling for removing some of the stubborn stuff that pressure hose can't blast off, especially gristle on back end of skull. It won't hurt the bone though care should be used in delicate areas around nose.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    I've been following along, seems there's more than one way to skin a cat. Last one I did was the easiest and fastest but messy. I simmered mine for about a half hour then took my pressure washer to it to blast off what loosened up. Stuck it back in the pot for another 10 minutes and repeated the process. Third time pretty much finished it, the rest of the gack that wouldn't blast loose pulled out in one piece with forceps.

I'd like to try this at some point, problem is our temps are too cold to do it outside during and after hunting season. This is a good write up as to the technique:

https://www.usskullhunter.com/how-to...ing-maceration

I did try this with my daughter's turkey skull last year. I put it in a peanut butter jar and left it in the shed for a couple weeks. Worked a little too good, the skull came apart in pieces. It may have had something to do with being a bird or I simply left it too long. Bones were completely clean.

I'll probably try it with a smaller mammal at some point using a five gallon bucket and leaving out away from the house.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    I still would recommend simmering the skulls as a final step. Add a lot of Dawn dish soap to the soup (we also add about a half cup of soda ash). This will remove much of the grease stains that I see in the smaller skulls especially. Have a ladle handy to skim off grease and dead bugs while it's simmering. Smell isn't too bad if you've already got most of the meat off. Do it outside with pot on the BBQ grill. Keep the bone from touching bottom of the pot while cooking. Try to keep it at a simmer just below boiling.

It's VERY important to remove the brain as soon as possible. It is loaded with greasy fat that will permeate and stain the bone if allowed to sit inside the skull. I think I earlier posted instructions on how to make the tool for removing brain.

Also, if you simmer the skulls, consider painting them with #40 beautician's peroxide creme while skull is still hot. Will whiten it more evenly and add a very pleasant odor (the stuff is scented). Rinse well after letting it stand painted overnight.

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    Yes. If it’s not the right time of year it’s at a stand still. One thing I did learn with the buffalo heads was that when they are clean get them out of the barrel and get washing, soaking, etc. Leaving them in the same container over winter causes a lot of dead bugs to get stuck in the inside crevices. I soaked and blew out with an air compressor 7 times and every time more were loosened up and dead bugs swarmed out like bugs to a light. I think that would not have been as bad or difficult if I had taken the skulls out when the bugs were still a alive. It was much easier to “debug” the bear head. The live maggots all swam/floated to the top.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    I certainly was not suggesting you acquire African beetles. They are finicky and require constant attention. Don't last in cold weather for one thing. I don't think they do the job any better than simmering, etc., but, as you discovered, the bugs can do a lot of the work for you. A lot less obtrusive if the right working environment is available.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I am just going with what worked for me. With using my buddies acerage now I can put the heads in and come back a few weeks later to clean skulls. I don’t have to actually be near the stench. However doing it in my back yard was a terrible idea and I thank God I have a forgiving wife!

If contained in a barrel the maggots do stick around long enough to do the job.

I have no intent or ability to turn this into a business so I won’t be buying anything extra.

I wonder if soaking that head for a few days to soften up the remaining meat and then trying the maggots method would work?
    I dunno, Ian? Sounds logical. I think it would be worth a try, should the need arise.

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    I am just going with what worked for me. With using my buddies acerage now I can put the heads in and come back a few weeks later to clean skulls. I don’t have to actually be near the stench. However doing it in my back yard was a terrible idea and I thank God I have a forgiving wife!

If contained in a barrel the maggots do stick around long enough to do the job.

I have no intent or ability to turn this into a business so I won’t be buying anything extra.

I wonder if soaking that head for a few days to soften up the remaining meat and then trying the maggots method would work?

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Ian, just reread your original post.
    Okay, so a simmering deer head isn't THAT appetizing or appealing, but the odor is not unpleasant nor anywhere near what would have been coming from a rotting, maggot infested buffalo skull.

In fact, when I started my deer skull, I added a few drops of Dawn dish detergent and about a quarter cup each of hydrogen peroxide and bleach.
    I was reluctant to use the hydrogen peroxide and bleach for fear of bleaching the color off the antler bases. I covered the antler bases with tin foil from the skull to above the water line. No color loss!
    Check the skull every 4 or 5 hours and add hot water as needed to replace water loss.

Anyhow! That's how I did it. If you prefer your method, good enough!

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Abortion Up To States
    by 99explorer
    When an appeals court reviews a case, it looks at past rulings on the subject for a precedent, as the question of law may already have been decided....
    Today, 11:11 AM
  • Abortion Up To States
    by jhjimbo
    Court reversed abortion, back to the States where it should have been in the first place. Let them vote on it.
    Yesterday, 12:22 PM
  • Reply to TGIF; Party Time
    by PigHunter
    Right Said Fred - "I'm Too Sexy"

And I'm too sexy for your party
    Too sexy for your party
    No way I'm disco dancing...
    Today, 10:21 AM
  • TGIF; Party Time
    by fitch270
    Almost, Friday evening actually but looking for a play list, lol.

Getting it rolling with The Cars.

06-22-2022, 10:06 AM
  • Reply to You guys are sleeping
    by 99explorer
    I think what you are saying is that our elected officials would disarm the public to prevent an armed insurrection.
    Not for reasons of public safety,...
    Today, 10:16 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X