Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to do a european mount. I don't want to do the boiling because I don't think my stomach or my neighbours could handle the smell. I have heard a few alternatives that I have never tried but sound like they may be worth a try. Reviews also say n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IanS
    replied
    Has anyone ever cleaned a sheep skull? I’m getting a few for free and I’m curious how it will look. Are they a fairly delicate or sturdy skull? The pigs were nice and thick with minimal cracking.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by IanS View Post
    I had one more thought on the maggot method that may work for big animals. Even a moose or elk. If you could get an old deep freeze, like the big farm style, that might be able to contain the big animals. Drill a few holes or prop the door open a 1/2 inch just so flies can get in and maggots will show up.
    Most taxidermists who use the beetle method of stripping skulls use an old deep freeze. Downside is they have to be cleaned periodically or bugs will die from mold etc. And freezers are a pain to clean. Very difficult to collect the bugs before cleaning, then have to drag the freezer outside and tip it over to hose it out. We use a large plastic bin big enough for deer skulls. For moose we will continue to use notched trash can boiler.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I had one more thought on the maggot method that may work for big animals. Even a moose or elk. If you could get an old deep freeze, like the big farm style, that might be able to contain the big animals. Drill a few holes or prop the door open a 1/2 inch just so flies can get in and maggots will show up.
    Sure it will work. I'd remove the latch mechanism or block the door to keep it from closing completely. Anything to keep children or animals from suffocating.

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    Sounds great. I’m not going anywhere

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Thanks guys. Certainly didn’t want to start a debate! I’m happy with how my skulls turned out and for being new to the hobby I’d say they are pretty good. I may or may not try a couple more techniques but for now will just go with what works
    Ian, you didn't start a debate mi amigo, a couple of the guys around here are just walking condradictions.🤪🤣😉!

Hang with us Ian. Sure we fuss and fight and squabble, but for the most part, we're just a bunch of cantankerous old farts, set in our ways, but with lot's of lore to impart on a younger generation.

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    Thanks guys. Certainly didn’t want to start a debate! I’m happy with how my skulls turned out and for being new to the hobby I’d say they are pretty good. I may or may not try a couple more techniques but for now will just go with what works

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Haha. Sounds good. Wasn’t sure how that would work but there are often some very weird solutions to odd problems.
    No doubt Ian. Good luck in your future endeavors. Don't be a stranger. We can always use another view point.

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    Haha. Sounds good. Wasn’t sure how that would work but there are often some very weird solutions to odd problems.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Yeah, taxidermy is only our business. But I know nothing. Bubba, you're the gold medal champion of know-it-all-who-knows-nothing. Expert with no experience. Or education. Or common sense (e.g. vaccine denial).
    Oh yeah Mr. "Produce on the Floor"?
    I note there is no mention of you rereading fitch270's post (#54) that he simply put a turkey skull in a "peanut butter jar".
    He DID NOT "soak" a skull in peanut butter.
    "Soaking" a skull in peanut butter?
    That's your dunderhead blunder, MoeHonk!

You're such a "libtard"!

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Ian, just another case of Honk jumping to "contusions"! LOL!
    Can you imagine what that much peanut butter would cost!? A hundred bucks or so.

fitch270 said he put a turkey skull in a peanut butter "jar"! He did not "soak" the skull in peanut butter!

You gotta watch "Mr. Know-It-All"!
    He often reveals himself as "Mr. Knows-Nothing"!
    Yeah, taxidermy is only our business. But I know nothing. Bubba, you're the gold medal champion of know-it-all-who-knows-nothing. Expert with no experience. Or education. Or common sense (e.g. vaccine denial).

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied

Am I reading this right? Soak in peanut butter? How would that have been thought to be tried and for what purpose
    I guess so bacteria would break down the tissue? However, I would think the high salt content in most peanut butter would kill bacteria. High oil content would definately not be good for bone.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied

Am I reading this right? Soak in peanut butter? How would that have been thought to be tried and for what purpose
    Ian, just another case of Honk jumping to "contusions"! LOL!
    Can you imagine what that much peanut butter would cost!? A hundred bucks or so.

fitch270 said he put a turkey skull in a peanut butter "jar"! He did not "soak" the skull in peanut butter!

You gotta watch "Mr. Know-It-All"!
    He often reveals himself as "Mr. Knows-Nothing"!

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
    Soaking a skull in peanut butter would likely leave it stained. Tons of oil in peanut butter. Oil and fat is what you want to remove.

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    That’s the beauty of the maggot method. Put it in a barrel and forget about it for a few weeks. Then voila! Clean skulls. I do like the idea of simmering after maggots have done their part though.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad