Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With a plastic bb, what fps would it take to kill a squirrel. I domt want to kill one, just scare them off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With a plastic bb, what fps would it take to kill a squirrel. I domt want to kill one, just scare them off

With a plastic bb, what fps would it take to kill a squirrel. I domt want to kill one, just scare them off

My initial, un-helpful answer is that you should be careful as harassing wildlife is illegal in most places.

Comment

You should be just fine keeping it under 500fps, but take heed of jcarlin's reponse and think about the consequences.

Comment

A paint gun might be better.
        A BB would have to be in the 100fps to do no harm, IMO.

Comment

During the spring, I would trap squirrels alive in my Have-A-Heart trap and drive them to work, miles away then release them.
          I did it in the spring so they can gather their supply of food all summer long for the winter months.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
            My initial, un-helpful answer is that you should be careful as harassing wildlife is illegal in most places.
            Thank you, in which case I will most likely use some cheap pistol, to keep them away. What theyre doing is dropping walnuts all over the terrace, and the outer layer is very good at staining most things.

Comment

Throw a stick. They'll run i promise.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                Walnut husks are even tough to get off your hands.
                I won't say I haven't moved troublesome wildlife along with less than lethal means. Just warning you to be careful if you have a nosy neighbor. I'd tried to add a follow up to this earlier, but jost noticed it didn't post.
                From experience a bb handgun rated at about 450fps with steel .177 caliber bb's and a fresh charge won't break denim jeans at point black range. But it'll raise a hell of a welt. A small animal hit with one might or might not be killed by the blunt trauma alone, but I suspect it'd be hurting more than you'd be happy with for a non-lethal alternative.
                I can't imagine the same barrel velocities with the low density and quick deceleration of plastic would be nearly as harmful. I've never played airsoft, however.

Comment

A red raider bb gun will scare him off,the most it will do is make him bleed a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Coon hunter1019 View Post
                    A red raider bb gun will scare him off,the most it will do is make him bleed a little.
                    Agreed.

Comment

If you had a Terrier of some kind, he'd keep every squirrel away or high in the trees never to return.

Comment

Squirrels are pretty tough and I would say your plastic bbs will not kill him as I'm sure your bb gun does not have what it takes. However,it would probably take a few plinks to the hind end before he gets the message if he does at all.
                        To answer how many fps?
                        I do not know but doubt you bb gun has what it takes.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad