Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody have any good ideas for removing and installing new boat carpet

anybody have any good ideas for removing and installing new boat carpet

What kind of/size boat do you have? I overhauled a 13' aluminum boat, put in a casting deck and a rear deck. I stapled marine carpet to the decks. I noticed that the staples are rusting in spots so try and get rust-proof staples or use rust-proof screws.

Comment

You can use a "heat gun" to heat up the glue and pull it up.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Make sure to set your gas can on a tray. My cousin forgot to do this and half the glue in the back was rendered useless only three days after I put the new carpet in.

Comment

I ended up pulling the floors out and cutting new 3/4" plywood for all the new ones. First, I treated them all several times with Thompson's water seal. Then I used outdoor carpet glue to put the new carpet on the new floor panels.

Comment

Removing and Installing new boat carpet
            1. Start by removing all the hardware, storage lids, compartments, or any other pieces that have to be removed from the boat
            2. Remove the old carpet
            3. Start scraping the old marine glue off. This could take some time but it’s important to get the majority lifted so that you get a good seal with the new carpet.
            4. When you’re done removing the glue, vacuum everything and wipe everything down with a damp cloth.
            5. Begin taking your measurements and start marking the direction of lids or compartments that will also be covered with carpeting. Leave yourself a little extra when taking your measurements.
            6. Start in one section and work your way around the boat
            7. After you’ve cut the first piece check for fit.
            8. Apply the glue with a trowel and make sure to apply lots. Don’t skimp!
            9. Lay the carpet on the glue and adjust to fit properly. Leave the excess overhang for now. You can return and trim later.
            10. Use your Phillips screwdriver to run along the edge and mark where the cut will be.
            11. Once you have the complete floor carpeted you can return and begin to do your trimming.
            12. Then it’s time to start cutting to cover your lids and compartments. Remember to watch the direction of the grain and to leave yourself adequate carpet to wrap.
            13. Apply glue to lids and then apply carpet wrapping over the edge.
            14. Apply continuous pressure rubbing back and forth to ensure the adhesive bonds.
            15. Once the glue has set up you can begin trimming the compartments and lids also.
            16. Reapply all hardware that you removed.

Just a couple of tips that can make your project go even smoother.

1. Let the carpet warm in the sun for a short period. This removes wrinkles and softens the backing making it more pliable and easier to work with.
            2. Always allow yourself extra when doing your measurements.
            3. Use only approved marine glue. Other glues may dry too quickly or may let loose when exposed to water.
            4. Always use glue in a well ventilated area.

Installing your own marine carpet can save you as much as $1500 and you’ll have the satisfaction of seeing your project to completion.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad