Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About ghile suits. Should I buy one, make my own, or buy one and add onto it with more camo cloth and stuff? This would be for b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• meagel
    replied
    you do not need one at all. Just work on breaking up you outline more in the woods and you shall be set.

Leave a comment:

• muskiemaster
    replied
    I have one you can usually find a couple of them at military shows and for hunting I was going to use mine for turkey hunting in a field with little cover but then decided to go with a ground blind instead.

Leave a comment:

• huntcamp
    replied
    Just be careful the suit doesn't grab your string on the way through

Leave a comment:

• usmcturkey
    replied
    Hey 2poppa I also use the 3D ones Big O is talking about work great even for turkey hunting. Just turn them inside out when you wash them even though the directions do not tell you that.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    2poppa that thing would probably work very well but it would be hard to shoot a bow. Think I got mine at Dick's or Galyan's. Bass Pro and Cabela's has them.

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    These things are interesting but are almost taking it too far.

Leave a comment:

• samuel wilson
    replied
    make your own

Leave a comment:

• Big O
    replied
    To 2Poppa those are the ones. I got the Mossy Oak brand.

Leave a comment:

• 2Poppa
    replied
    MLH-
    Thanks for your reply!
    I couldn't find them online either.

Check these bad boys out ...

http://www.ghilliesuitstore.com/suits/index.html

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    Cabelas. I just checked, but they no longer have this type online. Maybe in the catalog. Mine is about 7 years old - shredded cotton Mossy Oak fabric.

Lots of choices if looking for a new suit today. You can throw the cape over whatever you're wearing. Jute might also be a better choice than the shredded cloth (search for ghillie suit online). The new 3D camo jackets and pants at Bass Pro are quite realistic. In a tree, the 3D jacket/pants type might be safer than the loose-fitting cape - seems less likely to catch on something. I do not wear my ghillie suit in a tree stand - can too easily catch on something.

Leave a comment:

• 2Poppa
    replied
    Where did you get them MLH?

Leave a comment:

• 2Poppa
    replied
    Del_
    Where did you get your 3d suit?
    Do you have a picture?

Big O-
    Is this what you were talking about,from Bass Pro?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_79131_475002001_475000000_475002000?cmCat= CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    Whenever I put on a ghillie a surprising variety of wildlife tromp, slither, or fly very close me - much more than when wearing regular camo. If you get busted deer will sometimes just stare for a few seconds, offering a chance at a shot. Last year a male pheasant walked within 10 feet while crowing for a mate.

My ghillie is a 3/4 length cape with sleeves and separate leggings and headgear. The leggings are a pain in the butt - would prefer overpants. Great in warm weather because the backing is an open mesh. The mesh does catch branches, though. You could set up in a field and look like a brush pile, but only if you don't move. I like to set up in edge cover.

If by a road at dusk, can put on your best Bigfoot act, before slipping back into the woods. Not recommended if there are any other hunters around.

I spray the entire set, inside and out, with Permithrin each year to deter ticks and other creepy crawlers.

Leave a comment:

• matouse3
    replied
    The ones that Del is talking about work well and look good, and for a hundred bucks or less, its hardly worth you time to fabricate your own once you add up your time and materials.

Leave a comment:

• Big O
    replied
    Bass Pro has some good one's(don't remember who make's them).They have several "colors" available.
    You could make your own as they train snipers to do in the "school".
    Lastly you could buy one and add on if you wanted to but should 'nt have to.
    Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad