Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When a firearm is fired, why does the recoil always cause the barrel of the gun to point upward? why not downward? left or right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When a firearm is fired, why does the recoil always cause the barrel of the gun to point upward? why not downward? left or right

When a firearm is fired, why does the recoil always cause the barrel of the gun to point upward? why not downward? left or right? does this have anything to do with the any external factors such as the humans grip on the gun?

I would think it takes the path of least resistance. We put more upward force than down force.

Comment

I think it is a pivot thing. Center of gravity thing, which is mid-body mass, then you apply force to the top of the mass... you know

Comment

I think it has more to do with the way the gun is held.

Comment

Really? ....it doesn't, the recoil pushes back up against your shoulder, to transfer that force away from your sholder you pull it up.

Comment

really churro? i'm assuming your the one who gave the minuses. well think of it like this. you're holding a handgun 2 feet away from your shoulder and you fire and the recoil send the barrel of the gun pointing upward. i've seen videos of people being hit in the face with the handgun. i don't think that's out of reflex to transfer energy. but correct me if i'm wrong.

Comment

Really interesting question Reid I'm looking forward to future answers. In reference to your handgun comment, do you think that because the barrel is on the top, your hold is on the bottom that your hand is simply acting as a pivot point sending the barrel upward?

Comment

In general, recoil goes straight back down the centerline (CL) of the barrel. Your grip on the handgun opposes that force at a point below that CL. Hence the gun tries to rotate upward.

On a rifle, most of the opposing force occurs at the butt of the gun where it meets the shoulder. That point is also below the CL of the bore so the barrel tries to rotate upward around the shoulder.

If you bought the bore CL directly in line with the CL of the rifle butt or pistol grip the recoil would be pretty much straight back. Bring it below and the rotation is downward.

Comment

Just like an AR-15 has little muzzle jump due to the barrel, action, stock, and butt being more or less in the same plane.

Hold a pistol upside down or sideways and observe the motion. It is all about recoil moment reacting about an off axis restraint like the grip or stock

Good answer MLH.

Comment

This is why stocks with a lot of drop make some guns seem extra nasty.

Comment

MLH beat me to it. Good answer.

Comment

I think it's how we half to hold the gun up , and if you have seen any one dry fire they allmost allwase pull up!

Comment

when dry firing it is the shooter. Gun doesn't move. They are just jerking the trigger instead of just squeezing.

Comment

If you want the barrel to recoil downwards, you need to stand on your head a shoot, LOL!

Comment

the gases excaps causes that

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad