Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your most memorable non-hunting wildlife encounter while out in the woods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your most memorable non-hunting wildlife encounter while out in the woods.

What is your most memorable non-hunting wildlife encounter while out in the woods.

In 2000 I was on a 30 day no resupply backpack trip in the Pasayten Wilderness of Washington State. While camped at Quartz lake I found a little inflatable raft that had been left. While out fishing for the large Rainbows we were catching (only would hook a couple per day, but their size made it worthwhile) I saw some sort of animal coming down the mountain above. At first I thought it was a bear, but as it came closer I could tell it was not. As the animal neared the far shore I came to realize it was a very large female Wolverine with 2 cubs in tow. I rowed the raft closer to the bank where she stood and watched as her and her cubs played on the lake shore for over 1/2 hour. She would occasionally stand on her back legs and snarl at me to make sure I kept my distance, which of course I did. I have seen most other North American game animals numerous times, but this has so far been my only Wolverine encounter....I couldn't get over how big they actually are, I would not want to tangle with one...

Comment

can't say where i was but i was just taking a walk with my two cousins just as we came out of the woods entering the field i saw somthing gray moving im stupid so i decided to go see what it was came within maybe 40-50 yards until i realized it was a bob cat. Another time i was walking in my papas (grandfathers) back yard and a fischer cat jumped out of the tree that was pretty cool. then on the same property just a week or two ago me and my cousins were walking up to his apple orchard taking two different paths my little cousin ran ahead scaring a huge doe too afraid to come near me and him so he took the longer narrow path and my cousin on that path almost got hit by it. that was kinda cool

Comment

Your wolverine adventure reminds me of an amusing wolverine story.
        I was hunting Central Barren Ground Caribou in the North West Territories near Little Martin Lake. One evening we were sitting outside on a spit of land that extended out into the lake. The breeze kept the white flies away. As you know it can stay daylight a long time that far north. The days hunting was long over. I was idly glassing the far shore and saw movement. Two wolverines were chasing each other around on a glacial moraine, having a grand old time.
        One of the hunters badly wanted one. He rousted out his guide, and off they went by boat, cautiously beaching about 100 yards to the left. By now they had the whole camp as audience as they skulked along the moraine. I caught a glimpse of bright movement back too the left. I refocused my 10 x 40's on their boat. The wolverines had circled back and were tearing up the orange life vests in the boat. While the nimrods were seriously stalking elsewhere, the animals were happily raising havoc at their craft.
        Everyone on shore laughed so hard tears were flowing. There were at least six pair of binos watching the looks on their faces when they returned empty handed to their boat.
        I was especially pleased as I was not happy they went after the critters in the first place.

Comment

All the many moose and bear sightings up in the great white north. I'll never forget the large black bear I saw scratching his *ss, holding his arms out in front of him as I was heading up the north Canol in the Yukon. What a blissfull look he had!

Comment

I had the (pleasure, I guess) to witness an annual purcupine ritual, mating... mostly there was a lot of chasing and snarling/squealing. I watched them play chase for about 20 minutes, trying my best to follow behind them. It is a wonder that they ever manage to reproduce! It made the old saying come to life! "How do porcupines mate? Very Carefully!"

Comment

well I've got quite a few such as me and my friend raising baby squirrels or walking in the woods and finding a baby fawn bedded down while the mom was just 50 yards away or a pack of wolves wih pups running acoss while we were driving on a back road.

Comment

Ran across a badger that had just come out of his den at the bottom of a tree. Just stood there and watched him as he ambled about and into the undergrowth. Third badger I have seen. Even when I was hunting I have had no desire to do anything but to watch them in awe. Interesting in that I happen to have only one fur clothing item - a beautiful badger fur bomber cap for very cold days.

Comment

I probably should mention there was caribou blood in the boat bottom and on the life vests, which I am sure is what attracted the wolverines to the boat.

Comment

I spent about 2 hours with a black bear cub(he was actually across a blueberry flat)watching him gather apples into a pile and then eat them. One of the best times I've every had! You can't plan these kinds of outings.

Comment

Back when I lived in AK my Uncle and Aunt drove an RV all over the country one summer finally ending up at Denali park in early September. They took a tour of the park by bus and my aunt had a brand new (at the time) video camera. At lunch time they had stopped at a picnic area to eat lunch. Soon a Grizzley was spotted nearby digging for ground squirrels. Everyone was enjoying the bears antics when he just decided to wander on over for a look. Soon people scrambled into cars and the bus. Auntie was taping the whole thing from the bus window. That bear walked between 2 parked cars with an idiot standing on top of one and walked up to the bus. After a moment he pushed on the bus door. You could clearly see the driver holding said door shut with all his strength. Next our griz dropped to all fours and walked over to the sign indicating it was a picnic area and scratched his back by standing against it and doing knee bends. Soon he went on his way and Auntie got the whole thing on video. A still shot she took of this bear is is posted in my profile titled King of his domain. It is awesome video. They are very old now and I don't know what they did with the film.

Comment

Paul Bunyan Woodsman award.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad