Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come there are not articles in outdoor mags promoting the great clean up that has occured in the US and Canada in the last 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come there are not articles in outdoor mags promoting the great clean up that has occured in the US and Canada in the last 4

How come there are not articles in outdoor mags promoting the great clean up that has occured in the US and Canada in the last 40 years. We have bears, cougars, eagles, ospreys, turkeys, deer, moose, beavers, etc, in huge numbers in places that they were extinct. The water is so much cleaner, the air pollution, the chemical contamination is so much lower it is astounding. People are saying Pa, Mi,Co,Tx are the best flyfishing states. We are all fishing and hunting locally and we're proud of our catch. Nowhere in the world is so large an area so full of fish and wildlife. Why are we letting the media talk about how bad things are? Things are great and getting better every day. Politicians get elected saying they are going to save the environment. We already have. We need some positive reinforcement. What do you say?

No celebrity has indorsed the project yet

Comment

as a hunter i kind of hope this isnt promoted it everyone thinks that were doing so good what will stop developers from buying our hunting grounds? im ok with everyone saying everything is polluted were getting better and better so why bother stopping?

Comment

Where is this report documenting that the environment has been saved?
        Politicians get elected saying that they will help the environment (whether they do or not....) because myself and many, many other people support them because we enjoy the outdoors, green spaces, clean water, hunting, fishing etc. and want to see more of it. I agree that I would like to see more articles dedicated to conservation programs and what they have accomplished, but the work is far from done.

Comment

Always something more that can be done better conserve our natural resources, but we have to also strive to find the happy medium where we don't take it to the extreme of destroying economies and communities. Enviro's love to bash us hunters and say we are out to kill off all the wild creatures, they however neglect to acknowledge the fact that in states like Idaho there is more wild game animals alive today than when Lewis and Clark came through 200 years ago because of hunters and the dollars they have given for wildlife management. Our sea run fish need more help, but the reduction in their numbers is more do to dams and commercial fisherman in the ocean than the local bank fishermen.

Comment

matouse3

In NY a 1975 bald eagle study found that 72 pairs of eagles had once nested in the state. Bald eagles were extinct in 1975 in NY As of 2008 154 pairs of eagles were nesting in NY. That same story is repeated in many places all across the country, with many species. Places such as Oil City Pa, the home of the world's first oil well, drilled in 1859, were horribly polluted. Today are home to forests, bear and deer, and yes several pairs of bald eagles, that dine on the bass, muskies, and trout that inhabit the area. In the 60's and 70's we watched extinctions spread, today we see species spread back into areas where they have been long gone. The trend over most of North America is a positive one not a negitive one and we should be proud of that.

Comment

Lab 12, I'm not disagreeing with you, I never said that there aren't great stories of extirpated species recovering in areas all over the country. And I love to hear about all the great work that our environmental scientists and conservationists are doing and I am proud of what we have done. All I said was that the work was not done and we all need to continue this great work that is being done.
              I'm not trying to be negative about this but for every example of a species recovering in an area, I can give you one of a species declining. They might not be as publicized as the bald eagle but the collapse of the Wild Salmon stocks (mentioned by Idahooutdoors), the loss of 60,000 acres of wetlands per year, and the invasion of countless non-native species is happening. We can't "fix" everything and its certainly not going to happen overnight, but we just need to keep supporting the positive work that is being done out there.

Comment

We have a new environment today. It's a evolving system with elements of the traditional species makeup and new species added. I'm an old Canadian Wildlife Service wildlife technician. On this website today there are people talking about carp fishing as a feature not a bug. I'm old enough to remember when NY was trapping carp to rid them from the environment as an invasive species. Brown headed cowbirds are a plains species which are parasitic. They have caused a change in the species make up of the eastern hardwood forest because they have moved out of the area they evolved in. The NY Times has an article this week on beaver population growth. 1900 beaver pop was 100,000, today the beaver pop is est @ 10 to 15 million, in the US. That's alot of new wetlands. The idea that the environment should mirror 1950 populations, or 1860 species populations, is not practical. Today we know, because we have accomplished it, that we can re-establish white-tailed deer, salmon, eagles, moose, whatever. We can re-establish caribou in ANWR if we need to. We can re-establish anything that we want. We can't go back, but we can look to the future with a smile not a fearfull frown.

Comment

It's a work in progress

Comment

Was that beaver article written as a positive story? Most beaver population boom articles I have read have to do with the negative side (road washouts, plugged creeks and drainage ditches, etc.) with the end result being that tax payers and sportsmen have to pay to have them trapped and removed. This population boom being a direct result of the collapsed fur market and the near absence of trapping sportsmen around the country. Just curious, if you can remember, what was the date of the story in NY times?, I'd like to check it out. Thanks.

Comment

The story was in the paper as of Fri. Go to the science section. It was written as a negative story, but I took the positive # out of it. The comments are interesting too.

Comment

Good news doesn't sell or get votes. That's why we're all going to burn up because of global warming. Or is it the next Ice Age that's going to get us? That's what the "experts" told us in the 1970s, and I can never remember which global disaster I'm supposed to be worrying about.

Comment

I talked to my nephew on Sun and he said that he saw two mature bald eagles and one immature plus two ospreys on his last fishing trip in N. Carolina. I took him to Ak twice with me and I taught him to recognize the birds. I wish I had grown up in an environment where eagle and osprey were part of the experiance. Am I crazy to think that that is the sign of a way more healthy environment than that of the 60's and the 70's? Are we too used to the improvements to be able to recognize them?

Comment

I've never considered myself as an environmentalist simply because I don't want to be lumped in with all the extremists that I consider off the wall, but I've always been concerned about our water and air quality and the quality of our wildlife. I think that anyone who fancies himself an outdoors man is probably concerned but a lot less vocal than the alarmists. Sportsmen and sportsmen dollars are probably more responsible for clean water and clean public land than any of the vocal far left groups. Wildlife expansion and it's protection are also the result of our spending and the judicial use of these funds. The birds of prey in the State of Maine has expanded to the point where I believe that they will someday have to be controlled by limited hunting. I see eagles almost every day now. There are Whitetail deer everywhere and the moose population is as large or larger than it has ever been. The duck and goose numbers are expanding. The outlook for this land of ours is not a decaying wasteland as so many want to portray but in my opinion very positive. Finding the common ground with all parties involved in any issue today is tantamount to determining what is best for wildlife, developers, land use and economic opportunity for our people. We can't close our eyes and expect our wishes to become reality. We have to be vocal and determined to get what we know to be right.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                              by FirstBubba
                              Ya know bhr!
                              I think conservatives have figured out that "racist" and "sexist" are trigger words and liberals use them to shut...
                              Today, 03:57 PM
                            • 16 Years
                              by jhjimbo
                              So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                              Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                            • Reply to 16 Years
                              by FirstBubba
                              "... I need a life? Just shooting geese and pheasants doesn't constitute a life? Oops, you forgot about big bucks every year, African animals, fly...
                              Today, 03:40 PM
                            • Reply to 16 Years
                              by bowhunter75richard
                              Up to November should be a very interesting time ! The D’s should have a easy time in that any criticism of Harris will result in racism/sexism charges...
                              Today, 03:34 PM
                            • Reply to Trump
                              by Ontario Honker Hunter
                              That QAnon crap is so far out there. Ridiculous. Unbelievable that so many Americans are buying into it. But hey, why should I be surprised. National...
                              Today, 03:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X