Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To follow up Gary's question; has anyone ever seen or heard something they can't explain? Whether in your house, or out in the woods? Athough preferably outside.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MattM37
    replied
    Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
    Nothing ghostly about this, but one time while camping by myself on some state land near a popular fishing lake, I heard a bunch of guys at another campsite off through the woods, doing these weird chants in the middle of the night. Very creepy.
    I did not go and see. I got out of my tent, took my axe and walking stick (I hadn't taken a gun on that trip) and went down to the creekbed near my campsite. I sat down with my back against a high rock wall, facing the direction of their campsite, or wherever they were doing their chants, and waited for sunrise. When it started to get light, I made coffee and breakfast and then took a walk in their direction. Nobody was around at the spot where I thought they'd been, just a lot of tracks and matted down grass. Looked like there'd been quite a bunch of them, at least six or seven people. I prefer not to speculate.

Leave a comment:

• Redhawk
    replied
    Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
    ok per the deal with M.A.T. I said I'd share again if he did. I don't tell this at deer camps because even among other hunters who've hunted there for years, I get jeers. Oh well here goes:

This was another bow season in the Huron-Manistee national forest. The weather can fluctuate quite a bit some bow seasons have been in the low 80's some have as low as 0F.

This year was more typical right around 30F or so a little higher during the day a bit colder at night. I was hunting in a part we refer to as "The old burn area" based on forest fires a generation earlier.

I was hunting a small clearing in very very thick brush. If you're familiar with the area you know lots of time wildlife uses the trails because it's the least harsh to move thru.

Anyway, it was pretty damp but still above freezing although the ground was hard so I hadn't been picking up any fresh tracks. But I remember it was about the best field footwork I ever did, I thought I was silent as the grave. I got to my stand in the dark (ground stand). False Dawn was light enough that I could see and I remember thinking there must have been an awful lot of skunk cabbage in the next clearing where an uncle was hunting. I mean it, there was a stink in the air.

Just about as actual dawn was breaking. I heard something between a roar and a scream. I've listened to lots of wildlife. This was no cougar or bobcat, no bear owl or turkey. It didn't trail off like a wolf howl and it was too close to be an echo of a wolf or coyote howl. It sounded like when you yell so loudly that your voice breaks to the low side, but then it kind of trailed up in the middle.

After the yell something massive moved through the woods. I more heard it than saw it. When I say massive I mean I have heard 300lb men in full hunting gear move thru the woods, and 400lb black bear, and the sound and the gait was bipedal, and it moved fast. Footfalls were heavy and there was the definite sound of tree branches moving out of the way. It was moving like it didn't care, it was trying to cover ground. The clearing had pine trees that blocked my view, but the clearest I saw had me estimate that fur/hair placed it at LEAST 7ft tall. Never saw face or eyes or anything just a big outline heavily obscured by the trees.

When it was past, I booked it towards my uncle's stand, on the trail when I saw him, he was visibly shaken and was at full draw. When we met eyes, he composed himself, and asked "did you see that turkey?" I replied, "that was no turkey"

I get the feeling he was trying to shield me from something he couldn't explain, but I have seen turkey leave a tree roost and fly/glide distances in the wild sure they're ungainly but this thing was pushing tree-branches aside and moving thru thick rough country like it was nothing. I've never heard or seen anything else EVER in the woods that moved like that.

bears that go up on their back legs have little stubby steps this thing had a serious gait.

So there you have it, that is the weirdest thing I've seen in the woods.
    That's what's called a skunk ape, Buck.

Leave a comment:

• seth trudeau
    replied
    Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
    Nothing ghostly about this, but one time while camping by myself on some state land near a popular fishing lake, I heard a bunch of guys at another campsite off through the woods, doing these weird chants in the middle of the night. Very creepy.
    Did they have there cloths on?

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    ok per the deal with M.A.T. I said I'd share again if he did. I don't tell this at deer camps because even among other hunters who've hunted there for years, I get jeers. Oh well here goes:

This was another bow season in the Huron-Manistee national forest. The weather can fluctuate quite a bit some bow seasons have been in the low 80's some have as low as 0F.

This year was more typical right around 30F or so a little higher during the day a bit colder at night. I was hunting in a part we refer to as "The old burn area" based on forest fires a generation earlier.

I was hunting a small clearing in very very thick brush. If you're familiar with the area you know lots of time wildlife uses the trails because it's the least harsh to move thru.

Anyway, it was pretty damp but still above freezing although the ground was hard so I hadn't been picking up any fresh tracks. But I remember it was about the best field footwork I ever did, I thought I was silent as the grave. I got to my stand in the dark (ground stand). False Dawn was light enough that I could see and I remember thinking there must have been an awful lot of skunk cabbage in the next clearing where an uncle was hunting. I mean it, there was a stink in the air.

Just about as actual dawn was breaking. I heard something between a roar and a scream. I've listened to lots of wildlife. This was no cougar or bobcat, no bear owl or turkey. It didn't trail off like a wolf howl and it was too close to be an echo of a wolf or coyote howl. It sounded like when you yell so loudly that your voice breaks to the low side, but then it kind of trailed up in the middle.

After the yell something massive moved through the woods. I more heard it than saw it. When I say massive I mean I have heard 300lb men in full hunting gear move thru the woods, and 400lb black bear, and the sound and the gait was bipedal, and it moved fast. Footfalls were heavy and there was the definite sound of tree branches moving out of the way. It was moving like it didn't care, it was trying to cover ground. The clearing had pine trees that blocked my view, but the clearest I saw had me estimate that fur/hair placed it at LEAST 7ft tall. Never saw face or eyes or anything just a big outline heavily obscured by the trees.

When it was past, I booked it towards my uncle's stand, on the trail when I saw him, he was visibly shaken and was at full draw. When we met eyes, he composed himself, and asked "did you see that turkey?" I replied, "that was no turkey"

I get the feeling he was trying to shield me from something he couldn't explain, but I have seen turkey leave a tree roost and fly/glide distances in the wild sure they're ungainly but this thing was pushing tree-branches aside and moving thru thick rough country like it was nothing. I've never heard or seen anything else EVER in the woods that moved like that.

bears that go up on their back legs have little stubby steps this thing had a serious gait.

Quite possibly, if you're a local; people will open up to you a bit more. You might find more than a few others with similar stories. Could be why those BFRO "researchers" were out there...

Leave a comment:

• sg72
    replied

Hmmm....sounds like a possible bigfoot?

Leave a comment:

• M.A.T
    replied

Yep, that is pretty dang weird.

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    To hell with it, I don't care what anyone says I have had experiences in the woods where I hunt. I am not afraid of anything living on this earth, especially when I am hunting, but one experience has soured me on hunting a particular area of that national forest. I don't go in that part of the woods without purpose, but more on that later.

1st experience: I was bow hunting. Remember this is a huge national forest. I have never had any issues during gun season aside from being watched as I leave the woods. The difference between the traffic from bow season to gun season is astounding. It was unusually cold that year, it got very cold very early. So cold that my cousin and I opted to not go to our stands. We were tending to the fire and warming up some food. We had made camp at a clearing that is off a main 2-track and parts of it are adjacent to so old parts of the forest. I was in the back of the pickup checking on my bow when I heard a howl coming from the old growth. I wrote it off as coyotes. But then it got closer. For about 15 min the howls continued to get closer and louder. It was morning but full day light, we had a fire going, and these howl kept getting closer, but only from the old growth side of the clearing, sometimes there would be a call and an answering call. It got to where by the sound there should have been animals at the edge of the clearing. It got to the point where I took my bow out of its case and knocked an arrow, even clipped my release onto the string. The calls were very loud but then all of sudden they stopped. Just as they were at the loudest and closest, where I know if there was anything I should have been able to see it from where I was at. My cousin looked to me and asked me what the hell happened. Still no clue, he wouldn't sit out by the fire, and actually sat in the truck with it running for a while.

Some years later, I was out there with a bigger group of family hunting a nearby area for pat. For whatever reason my brother's dog bolted, I think it maybe scented a deer or maybe a fox. Anyway, we decided to split up and look for him. When it came to divvying up the areas. I volunteered to go into that part of the forest and call along the trails. I know my way around back there even though the trails end. So I went back there and starting calling the dog. When I got to the where trail ends I stopped calling and decided just to hike for a while. I was looking to pick up the trail again when the dog was suddenly in the middle of the trail. Right where I was looking not a second earlier. The dog was scared. I called to him but he didn't come to me, it was the only time it ever happened. The second time he whimpered and ran all the way back to me and was falling over himself trying to stay on my heel until we were back on the main trail and met up with everyone.
    BTW CH82, If you ever feel like explorin, I would be happy to show you the place. It's all public land and anyone who wants to explore is welcome.

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    Originally posted by M.A.T View Post
    To Buckshottoo because he said in a comment under my previous answer that he wanted me to share a story but it's kinda hard to write long posts on a tablet in the little comment box. So anyway, in the back of the house there's a room with a large, about 4' wide and 5' tall, window. About 5-10 feet in front of the window is a rabbit cage that's about 2.5' tall, 3.5' wide, and 5' long. We move the cage around to let the rabbit have fresh grass and soil in its cage. The cage was about 7' from the window when I saw the thing. It was late at night and the moon was bright and you could easily see outside. I walked into the room and the window is at the right and I looked at the cage when I saw a pair of legs without a body move from the the cage to the right until it moved out view and was blocked by the wall to the right of the window. In total, it moved about 5' and I caught it out of the corner of my eye before it started moving. When I looked at it5, it started moving sideways along the cage at about walking speed. The legs didn't seem to move as in a walking motion when it moved. It was as if it just floated across the ground as it moved. I didn't just catch this out of the corner of my eye; I looked at them and noticed some stuff about the legs. The legs were a little taller than average legs and muscular looking, and I'm not real sure, but the legs looked grayish-blue in color. I didn't say anything until days later, and when I did mention it, I learned that someone else had seen a bodyless figure before too. And lastly I'm not some ghost or alien hunter, I don't think this was a little green man or a ghost, and I don't think aliens or ghosts exist, what I do think it was doesn't matter.
    It's up now

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied

Leave a comment:

• M.A.T
    replied
    To Buckshottoo because he said in a comment under my previous answer that he wanted me to share a story but it's kinda hard to write long posts on a tablet in the little comment box. So anyway, in the back of the house there's a room with a large, about 4' wide and 5' tall, window. About 5-10 feet in front of the window is a rabbit cage that's about 2.5' tall, 3.5' wide, and 5' long. We move the cage around to let the rabbit have fresh grass and soil in its cage. The cage was about 7' from the window when I saw the thing. It was late at night and the moon was bright and you could easily see outside. I walked into the room and the window is at the right and I looked at the cage when I saw a pair of legs without a body move from the the cage to the right until it moved out view and was blocked by the wall to the right of the window. In total, it moved about 5' and I caught it out of the corner of my eye before it started moving. When I looked at it5, it started moving sideways along the cage at about walking speed. The legs didn't seem to move as in a walking motion when it moved. It was as if it just floated across the ground as it moved. I didn't just catch this out of the corner of my eye; I looked at them and noticed some stuff about the legs. The legs were a little taller than average legs and muscular looking, and I'm not real sure, but the legs looked grayish-blue in color. I didn't say anything until days later, and when I did mention it, I learned that someone else had seen a bodyless figure before too. And lastly I'm not some ghost or alien hunter, I don't think this was a little green man or a ghost, and I don't think aliens or ghosts exist, what I do think it was doesn't matter.
    Hey Buckshottoo, when you gonna post that other story?

Leave a comment:

• sg72
    replied
    What you explained doesn't sound like a ghost. Kinda sounds like it would fit right in with the creatures of, The Hills Have Eyes though.

Leave a comment:

• M.A.T
    replied
    I believe it was something. But I don't believe it was from outer space or that it was a ghost.

Leave a comment:

• sg72
    replied
    Well that is definately strange, and I can honestly say I have never heard of an "encounter" like that one. I do believe in ghosts, say what you want, but that was another experience I didn't share. No one can convince me there is no such thing. No one.

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    It'll be up shortly

Leave a comment:

• DeerSlayer001
    replied
    Originally posted by DeerSlayer001 View Post
    The weirdest thing I ever saw was in Maryland watching the stars one night. It was cold, the bugs were nasty, and were just about to go in. My cousin and I were the only ones to see it. 4 lights blinked all in a row in like a sort of curve in the sky. Then the all appeared for a second and zoomed away. That night I swore it was a UFO.
    Maybe it one of those new drones all these kids have now they use to creep people out. One time driving to Delaware we saw a shooting star that kind of did the same thing im the air and then split into two.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad