Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To follow up Gary's question; has anyone ever seen or heard something they can't explain? Whether in your house, or out in the woods? Athough preferably outside.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
    Nothing ghostly about this, but one time while camping by myself on some state land near a popular fishing lake, I heard a bunch of guys at another campsite off through the woods, doing these weird chants in the middle of the night. Very creepy.
    Did they have there cloths on?

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
      ok per the deal with M.A.T. I said I'd share again if he did. I don't tell this at deer camps because even among other hunters who've hunted there for years, I get jeers. Oh well here goes:

This was another bow season in the Huron-Manistee national forest. The weather can fluctuate quite a bit some bow seasons have been in the low 80's some have as low as 0F.

This year was more typical right around 30F or so a little higher during the day a bit colder at night. I was hunting in a part we refer to as "The old burn area" based on forest fires a generation earlier.

I was hunting a small clearing in very very thick brush. If you're familiar with the area you know lots of time wildlife uses the trails because it's the least harsh to move thru.

Anyway, it was pretty damp but still above freezing although the ground was hard so I hadn't been picking up any fresh tracks. But I remember it was about the best field footwork I ever did, I thought I was silent as the grave. I got to my stand in the dark (ground stand). False Dawn was light enough that I could see and I remember thinking there must have been an awful lot of skunk cabbage in the next clearing where an uncle was hunting. I mean it, there was a stink in the air.

Just about as actual dawn was breaking. I heard something between a roar and a scream. I've listened to lots of wildlife. This was no cougar or bobcat, no bear owl or turkey. It didn't trail off like a wolf howl and it was too close to be an echo of a wolf or coyote howl. It sounded like when you yell so loudly that your voice breaks to the low side, but then it kind of trailed up in the middle.

After the yell something massive moved through the woods. I more heard it than saw it. When I say massive I mean I have heard 300lb men in full hunting gear move thru the woods, and 400lb black bear, and the sound and the gait was bipedal, and it moved fast. Footfalls were heavy and there was the definite sound of tree branches moving out of the way. It was moving like it didn't care, it was trying to cover ground. The clearing had pine trees that blocked my view, but the clearest I saw had me estimate that fur/hair placed it at LEAST 7ft tall. Never saw face or eyes or anything just a big outline heavily obscured by the trees.

When it was past, I booked it towards my uncle's stand, on the trail when I saw him, he was visibly shaken and was at full draw. When we met eyes, he composed himself, and asked "did you see that turkey?" I replied, "that was no turkey"

I get the feeling he was trying to shield me from something he couldn't explain, but I have seen turkey leave a tree roost and fly/glide distances in the wild sure they're ungainly but this thing was pushing tree-branches aside and moving thru thick rough country like it was nothing. I've never heard or seen anything else EVER in the woods that moved like that.

bears that go up on their back legs have little stubby steps this thing had a serious gait.

So there you have it, that is the weirdest thing I've seen in the woods.
      That's what's called a skunk ape, Buck.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
        Nothing ghostly about this, but one time while camping by myself on some state land near a popular fishing lake, I heard a bunch of guys at another campsite off through the woods, doing these weird chants in the middle of the night. Very creepy.
        I did not go and see. I got out of my tent, took my axe and walking stick (I hadn't taken a gun on that trip) and went down to the creekbed near my campsite. I sat down with my back against a high rock wall, facing the direction of their campsite, or wherever they were doing their chants, and waited for sunrise. When it started to get light, I made coffee and breakfast and then took a walk in their direction. Nobody was around at the spot where I thought they'd been, just a lot of tracks and matted down grass. Looked like there'd been quite a bunch of them, at least six or seven people. I prefer not to speculate.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad