Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people feel they have to use their ATV for going to and from their stands if it is only a few hundred yards walk and they

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people feel they have to use their ATV for going to and from their stands if it is only a few hundred yards walk and they

Why do people feel they have to use their ATV for going to and from their stands if it is only a few hundred yards walk and they are not disabled? Do we need to be that lazy?

I know exactly what you mean. I watched 2 hunters drive ATV's from their house (only 2-3hundred yds away) to their blinds last year on opening day of deer season. They then drove out for lunch, then back again for the evening. The only positive of this was that I also watched deer run away everytime they went in and out and they didn't shoot a thing all day. People amaze me sometimes in their laziness when hunting.

Comment

I am in full agreement. We are so lazy and soft and dependent these days.

Comment

Boy you just struck a nerve! I've am absolutely in agreement, especially during Turkey season! It is not four wheeling, it's hunting. If you get tired walking the length of a football field get your lazy butt off the couch and do some walking every evening before the season. I don't mind some one coming in and getting a deer out with a four wheeler, but otherwise use your feet for what God intended. If you are disabled you certainly get a hall pass on this issue, but from my experience it is not those who need to ride in and out that raise such a ruckus.

I once listened to a nimrod ATV rider one morning at dawn riding a forest service road stopping every 100 yards to blow a myriad of "locator" calls. Before he started up birds were sounding off on thier own every where. When he finally made it to me about a mile and a half later, (down a foot travel only road I might add) he asked If I had heard any gobbling. My response, "No, all I've heard is some lazy idiot on a fourwheeler blowing every locator call in his bag!"

I feel better now...

Comment

I don't understand it at all. I see people park their ATVs right by their stand. HELLO . . . No deer will know you are there or anything. Did you fill the tank with scent killer?

Once again the dumb and lazy F things up for everyone around them through their selfishness.

Comment

Chase all the deer my way with your ATV's LOL, you really think a true hunter would do that anyway? How many lazy people are there out there? I would say a whole lot. When I was a kid, we took shopping karts back into stores now we have nice little parking staitions for them. But, what do people do? They leave their kart beside someone else's car for them to move. Lazy, people yes I think so. But to the point that we should take their karts away? I think not.

Comment

because those are the kind of people that would shoot deer from a car..............lazy people.

Comment

I agree. Hunting has become a sit down and do nothing sport. Hunters use to stalk deer for miles and now all they do is set up food plots and sit in a tree stand and shoot them. Where's the challenge? I can see where a disable person needed to get to their stand or maybe retrieve and bring back their bag but not everyone has to do that.

Comment

sadly yes many hunters are lazy , and depend to much on the latest gizmo's to bring their buck to them on a string . but i like to look on the bright side of this it is easy to get away from most all of them , you just have to walk more than a half mile in to the woods and most of them are gone .

Comment

I'm in agreement with all you guys. I see people ride their atv to go 50 yards! I don't know if these guys are all lazy or they simply like to ride more than they like to hunt. Personally I think that atv take away from the hunting experience. They certainly have their place in the hunting fields especially in the very large isolated areas where there is no other means of travel. They also serve as a excellent assistant in bringing deer out of the woods. I have a father/son team that hunts my property every year, Their great people but they never get deer. They show up with with two atv on a trailer and proceed to ride around for a couple of hours and then pack up and go home.

Comment

One word, NO ! ! !
                      Like Beekeeper said GET YOU LAZY BUTT UP AND WALK SOMEWHERE/ANYWHERE ! ! !

Comment

Big O,
                        Now you know where not lazy, sitting around righting to forums and answering questions. Getting 2,3,4,and 5 star ratings. Also, using, callers, sent, sent cover, store bought treestands, tents, and even sleeping bags. I mean all this stuff was hand made at one time. We use to hunt for food, now its a sport, for most, I hunt for food, same with fishing, to each his own though. I could argue that there's more than ATV's that say that people are lazy. I could say your lazy for sitting around on your computer all the time. But I won't. Just incase some are thinking it, I don't even own an ATV and haven't been on one in over 10 years. I walk where I can. You ever had to drag a 140lb deer for 2 or 3 miles out of one of these hallers, You might think, I wish I had a horse or mule if you did. LOL

Comment

people need to learn what work ethic is again. I only use my atv to haul game out, a tractor is better because game are used to the sound for the most part.

Comment

I have an ATV and take it with me everytime I go hunting. It only leaves the truck if there is a deer on the ground. I don't take it turkey hunting at all. I have dragged deer over a mile and a half. Big deer! I carry a stand, backpack and bow or rifle when I hunt deer and my short fat butt walks all over that property. I use my ATV outside of deer season to help with putting up stands and clearing trails but when it comes to hunting my club has a rule. No ATV's on the property from August 1st - January 1st or March 1st - May 1st except to retrieve game. My Dad had Polio when he was 2 years old and walks with a severe limp. He walks in and out of the woods. He can't carry or use a climbing stand anymore but he still gets out there and carries his walking stick to get in and out. If he can do it the vast majority of the people using ATV's to get to their stands can too!

Comment

as alot of you would think, the kids like myself are sooo lazy and dont do anything. well its not true. I walk the trail up the side of the mountain like hill our land sits on and i walk all the way to the top to get to my tree stand. i also walk down into deep hollows and back up. I take my quad so i have more help draggin a deer out of a deep hollow. but i also have to walk back down or up the hill to get my quad. i dont take it with me at all.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad