Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best way to cook trout? Any good sites to go to for that? Spence in PA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best way to cook trout? Any good sites to go to for that? Spence in PA.

Whats the best way to cook trout? Any good sites to go to for that? Spence in PA.

I like to smoke t. Brine it a couple of days, then smoke it until golden.
    Another good recipe is to dab butter inside and out, sprinkle with montreal steak seasoning, wrap in foil and grill on medium heat 10 minutes on each side.

Comment

Charley is on it... that's good. Here's an alternate: Throw the trout in foil. Put a dab of olive oil on the foil to reduce sticking. Slather that trout in Kraft Italian dressing before you tuck it in the foil. Maybe a dash of salt and pepper on the inside... maybe slice some lemon or an orange, and tuck it in the cavity. Wrap it tight in the foil, and like Charley says, go 10 minutes a side (provided the coals aren't too hot). Unwrap, and flake it onto crackers with capers and horseradish... or better yet, eat it for breakfast... a bit of trout... a bite of bacon... maybe an egg or two, over-easy... toast. Trout is always better in the morning. I don't know why, but it's true.

Comment

My opinion is the best way is the simplest way, wrap trout in foil, coat with butter and bread crumbs. 350 degree oven for 20-30 min. Works great with salmon as well.

If you are going to pan fry keep the heat at a medium with butter and light seasoning

Comment

All good posts above. I prefer to smoke them. It's a good way to cook up several of them at a time, then seal them up, and pull them out to snack on throughout the year.

Comment

grill it after rubbing lemon juice and lemon pepper on it or whatever your favorite seasoning for fish is.

Comment

Smoking it is really good like Charley said. If you are up in the mountains cut off the head and fry them up in a fry pan it makes good eating.

Comment

Over an open fire right next to the stream you caught it from, if you can. Either roll them in flour, cornmeal and seasonings and pan fry till the skin gets crispy but the flesh is still moist, or butterly them and put in a fillet basket and roast over hot coals.

Comment

Salt and pepper roll in corn meal and fry in butter.

Comment

For me, it depends on the size of the fish. If they're around a pound, I make sure to clean 'em and get 'em on ice as soon as they're off the hook. In camp, or at home, I scale 'em using the back of a butter knife to get rid of the slime organs and oogy stuff. Then I just toss 'em in a black iron skillet with a little butter and salt inside. Cook 'em slow until the skin starts to peel away from the flesh and turn over. Repeat. Serve with fried taters and a cold beverage of your choice. Hope that you enjoy as much as I do.

Comment

Easy, cast iron skillet, bacon grease, and breaded trout

Comment

Oh, I forgot. And potato pancakes!!

Comment

I normally foil wrap the whole fish and put all my herbs and spices in the cavity. I then roll up the foil and throw it on the grill. The fish comes out moist and flavorful.

Comment

Nail the trout to some un-treated wood and put it close to the fire. The trout will cook through the wood.

Comment

Here is everything I've ever needed to know about cleaning and cooking trout.

http://linger.typepad.com/photos/clean_and_cook_em/

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad