Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here have a good story about tracking wounded game? You can go to page 3 of photos in my profile by clicking my username

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here have a good story about tracking wounded game? You can go to page 3 of photos in my profile by clicking my username

Anyone here have a good story about tracking wounded game? You can go to page 3 of photos in my profile by clicking my username and see a big 14 point buck I tracked and shot for a Nimrod in KS. Click to enlarge and you can read the story.

Also left a long post on the thread under Jamus ? about eating the meat we shoot.

Comment

I tracked a 158 in whitetail for 2 days my brother-in-law shot while hunting on my property. He said he put the arrow in the "kitchen" and it could not have gone far. I found little blood on the trail but the deer left a distinct drag of either the left or right rear leg. I couldn't figure it out but was able to follow it.

When you track in Ohio you walk across many different farmers properties. You have to call each on the cell phone to get permission before you cross the fence. You get held up if no one is home.

I found the buck bedded by a small creek behind a farm over a mile down the road. My brother-in-law put the finishing touches on him.

Turns out that his arrow was not even close to a good shot. He cut the back tendons on both rear legs and the poor deer basically collasped from exhaustion. I can't figure what's worse. Making a poor shot or not even knowing where your arrow hit.

It was my first long tracking job where there was virtually no blood.

I passed that deer up everyday and knew where he was going to be at 4pm. My brother in law was in my stand for less than an hour when the buck walked by. Next time I put him on a good deer he'll have to show me he can shoot.

Comment

From my experience, every time tracking an animal takes long enough to create a story- its usually isn't a positive story.
        I did track a nice buck to the edge of a drainage pond that I thought was not that deep. We walked around and around it looking for where he went through. It wasn't for a half hour that we determined that he was in it. Sure enough after strapping the waders on, we found him sunk to the bottom in about 3.5 feet of murky water. I guess I had imagined that he would have floated.

Comment

Tracking my son's first deer turned out to be more of an experience than I expected. He was sitting in a ground blind with my wife when he shot a fairly large (140 lb) spike whitetail with his Marlin .44 mag carbine. He was 8 years old at the time. The shot came about 20 minutes before dark and cleaned out the bucks boiler room but in the 9 lived way of whitetails he made it 40 yards to a thick stand of planted pines.

The buck then decided to run circles around and around in the pines. He must have run 200 yards in an area not much bigger than a baseball diamond, crossing and recrossing his trail repeatedly. Mind you we didn't follow up on the buck until 45 minutes after the shot. No one was pushing him.

I used the opportunity to try and teach my son how to track at night but once we hit the pines and the confusion I sent him back to mom. The deer was bleeding well but the "bowl of spaghetti" trail became nerve racking in a hurry. I was beginning to doubt my own ability when the trail finally seperated and went in a straight line. I followed it about 20 yards and the trail disappeared where the buck firmly planted his back feet and left two deep impressions in the ground. I stood scratching my head as I looked in front of me at a pile of limbs and briers. As I shined my light I saw a broken cane on a blackberry bush. The buck had swan dived into the trash heap! I walked the 10 feet to the pile and shined my light down into the tangle. The only sign of a deer I could see were a few small drops of blood. For several minutes I stood there puzzling out the situation when I saw a slight reflection, the black of a polished hoof.

Smiling, I went back for my son who was waiting with his Mom. I told him I needed help in finishing the tracking job. Away we went and I helped him pick up the trail at the point where it straightened out. He crawled along noting the blood spots placing a piece of toilet paper by each drop. When he reached the deep tracks he looked at me and said, "I think he jumped!" Looking around he saw the broken blackberry cane and noticed some blood on the outside of the rubbish pile I had missed. His face lit up like a campfire as he plowed into the brush pile. Something is to be said for youthful enthusiasm! He found the back leg of the buck and came shooting back out saying, "I got him!, I got him!"

It took me a good 5 minutes to extricate that buck from that heap of dead branches and thorns. After emerging, I looked like I had hemmed up a Bobcat in trash can, I even had blackberry thorns in my lips! I had a fine buck in hand (turned out to be a 2 year old spike) and one happy young man in the other. He did let me help him drag the deer out by the way!

Comment

well I shot my first 8point and it ran. i thought i missed and freaked out. i ran around looking for blood. it turned out that although i looked where he ran. he turned after he left my sight. we was further to the right than what i was looking for.

Comment

I was able to drop my last deer straight down. He slid down the hill about 2 feet. When help arrived, I brought him to the start of the blood trail and followed it for a foot to where my deer was. Now that is what I call tracking

Comment

I shot my first deer with a bow a few years back. The shot was a little low and a little back, turned out to be a gut shot (didn't know that at the time.) I let the deer go for 3 hours, then came back to trail. Early on I found my arrow, covered in blood and a good blood trail. I found the deer in some Phragmites, it jumped up and looked at me, must have been about 30 feet instead of the 30 yards I thought because when I let another arrow go it sailed right over her back, and she took off. I took off after her into the growing darkness. As night fell I kept on the trail until I realized I needed help, I hung my headlamp in a tree, right on the trail and called my dad, I went back to my truck to wait for him to arrive with a lantern. When he got there we went back to my head lamp and picked up the trail again. following on hands and knees we went through the swamp. After about a hundred yards we came up on her bedded down by a log. We decided it would be a good idea (neither my dad nor I are very smart) to have me stand in plain sight of the deer with the light on it as he snuck up behind it to whack it with a big stick. The idea was that with the deer stunned we could jump on it and subdue it by any means necessary. Looking back, that was about the stupidest thing we could have done, because what happened was as he struck with the big stick the deer, completely un-stunned jumped up, knocking my dad over and disappearing into the darkness. We hung a marker and called it a night. The next morning it rained horribly and any chance of finding a blood trail was gone. By pure luck i went back to the marker and started walking in the direction the deer took off in the last night. Not fifty yards away it had lied down and died over the night. Gut shot as it was it would have lied down at any point had we not pushed it but we did, it was a huge mistake but we got lucky anyway and it all worked out.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad