Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for a good hunting story. We are camped under huge spruce trees on Afognak Island. It's raining hard but we are dry. The

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a good hunting story. We are camped under huge spruce trees on Afognak Island. It's raining hard but we are dry. The

Time for a good hunting story. We are camped under huge spruce trees on Afognak Island. It's raining hard but we are dry. The trees keep the wind off and deflect some of the rain. We have a large nylon tarp tied off to 4 trees. an empty can stuck on the end of a 14 foot pole is in the middle holding the center up so rain runs off. We can sit by the fire and talk while the coffee boils. The night is pitch black beyond the firelight. One of my buddies was an old Army Master Sergeant named Otto K. Otto loved to hunt as much as I. One fall about a year earlier he got a pilot to fly him out to the wood river wilderness area alone to hunt for a Grizzly. Otto was out there several days and managed a nice young bull moose which he gave 3/4 of to a miner in the area. The next night Otto was in his sleeping bag in a small tent when a big bear came nosing around the camp. There was a leg of moose meat hanging high above the ground between 2 Spruce trees. Go to 1st answer...

Somehow in the darkness that bear got to the meat. The next thing Otto heard was the sound of the rope holding his meat snapping. Next morning there was no sign of the bear or the meat. That night the bear came back looking for more mischief. At one point the bear got tangled in a tent rope and drug the tent with Otto in it a couple feet. Otto panicked and blew a hole in the tent wall with his 375 H&H bolt gun. The bear finally left but came back every night. During daylight there was no sign of any bears just large tracks. A few days later the bush pilot picked up a guy that was very tired from lack of sleep with no bear and no moose meat.

Comment

mice story. did you end up getting anything?

Comment

I'd rather have a partner when I hunt especially in bear country. Otto must have the same genes as them old time trappers who would rather be alone for months at a time.

Comment

Great story! that one made me tense just reading it.

Comment

There's more about Otto don't have time now but maybe tomorrow. He was a real character.

Comment

I'm waiting for Mr. Myles to respond. No "bear" storys here(yet).

Comment

Big O,

I told an Alaskan Brown Bear story not too long ago, if you missed it, I'll see if I can find it, and Give you a page and date reference. For now how about a humorous Grizzy story or two.

Was hunting elk by pack string years ago in The Hell's Roaring Creek wilderness area of Montana. A hard day's ride before dawn to dark to get to camp. Turned out the camp tender had absquatulated the premises due to a shortage of whiskey, leaving the camp unattended, a no no in bear country. The camp was shambles. cook tent destroyed, all the tinned foods torn open and sucked out ,nothing left. Between the shredded canvas and the dead camp fire was an empty cigar box. The old outfitter shook his head in disgust, and said, "there is one arrogant griz, ruins my tent, eats mt food, then sits by my fire, and smokes all my cigars!"

Comment

Whoops, I promised two.

I had a particularly tough Dall sheep hunt about 40 years ago. My guide and I were trapped on a ledge by flood waters for several days before getting off and going on to a successful sheep hunt . I lost 15 pounds in the process. Mention this just to indicate how exhausted I was upon returning to the old sourdough's cabins. I was given a tiny one room cabin with one small window, maybe a foot and a half in diameter that hinged inward. The room was heated with a small potbellied stove. I popped open the window for ventilation and collapsed on the bed in exhaustion. Something awaked me and i staggered upright standing on my bed to peer out the window and ran my face into the face of a grizzly actually touching noses. I must have screamed because everyone came running. My only saving grace is the bear appeared to be as frightened as I.

The old outfitter said "my God that bear smelled bad". I replied "thats not the bear, ''

Comment

Big O,
                    On 5-12 I related another Alaskan bear story, a little more exciting than the above two. Also under Del's heading. Kindest Regards

Comment

One fall Otto did some roofing work for a fellow in Fairbanks. For payment the guy (Had his own plane) flew Otto to a small gravel strip in the Books range and left him there for 10 days. Otto camped alone by the strip and one morning a huge bull moose walked out on the far end of the landing strip. Otto rested his Weatherby MK V in 300 Wby over an oil drum and shot this big Bull. IMS he went around 65 inches. Bears wound up getting most of the meat before otto could butcher the beast and secure the meat. He had a shoulder mount made and it was really awesome. On the same hunt Otto made a long shot on a nice Dall's sheep. Not many guys get a big moose and a nice ram on the cheap like Otto did that year. I have a photo someplace of a really nice bull barren ground caribou Otto collected on another hunt. The one animal that always eluded him was a nice grizzly or brownie.

Comment

Oops thats the Brooks mountain range in northern Alaska.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                          by PigHunter
                          I understand the reason someone would pick the heavier bullets. However, heavier bullets cause greater recoil and will affect recovery time and may result...
                          Today, 02:16 PM
                        • Cheaper Than Dirt
                          by jhjimbo
                          Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                          Today, 12:21 PM
                        • Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                          by fitch270
                          I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                          Today, 01:40 PM
                        • 300 yard .22lr
                          by jhjimbo
                          Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                          Today, 11:28 AM
                        • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                          by jhjimbo
                          I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                          Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X