Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am having a disagreement with my husband and thought I would get other opinions here. Would using scent free dye free All laundry detergent work as well using Scent Free or Scent away? There is quite a difference in price.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I am having a disagreement with my husband and thought I would get other opinions here. Would using scent free dye free All laundry detergent work as well using Scent Free or Scent away? There is quite a difference in price.

    I am having a disagreement with my husband and thought I would get other opinions here. Would using scent free dye free All laundry detergent work as well using Scent Free or Scent away? There is quite a difference in price.

  • #2
    I agree with your husband.

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't think so. It's the only detergent I use anyway so I haven't bought hunting detergent in a long time.
      A lot of hunting products like that are a little gimmicky anyway so I would use the cheapest stuff I could.
      Case in point, a cover scent company tried testing their product as Miss State in order to be able to say it was scientifically proven, and it did almost nothing to cover scent. It had been on the market for about 2-3 years before they did it and I'm not sure they stopped making it the same way.
      Go the cheap route. If he insists then buy a bottle of the hunting detergent and keep it filled up with the cheap stuff and he will NEVER notice.

      Comment


      • #4
        Stick by your guns sweet cakes!
        Tell Mr. Scent Killer if that crap really worked, drug smuggler's would buy train loads if it!
        Hint:
        Wash hunting clothes in your ALL. Clean is more important than scent.
        If you use dryer sheets, run a couple of bath towels through the dryer without dryer sheets. THEN dry hunting clothes. Better yet, hang them outside to dry! No dryer "scent" at all.
        From a 64 year old hunter who quit buying scent killer crap years ago and still kills deer!

        Comment


        • #5
          I use sent free detergent and run a second wash cycle with no detergent to double clean. After that, hunting clothes air dry.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
            Stick by your guns sweet cakes!
            Tell Mr. Scent Killer if that crap really worked, drug smuggler's would buy train loads if it!
            Hint:
            Wash hunting clothes in your ALL. Clean is more important than scent.
            If you use dryer sheets, run a couple of bath towels through the dryer without dryer sheets. THEN dry hunting clothes. Better yet, hang them outside to dry! No dryer "scent" at all.
            From a 64 year old hunter who quit buying scent killer crap years ago and still kills deer!
            Thanks for the advice maybe he will listen I thought that stuff was crap too!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TayHawk View Post
              I don't think so. It's the only detergent I use anyway so I haven't bought hunting detergent in a long time.
              A lot of hunting products like that are a little gimmicky anyway so I would use the cheapest stuff I could.
              Case in point, a cover scent company tried testing their product as Miss State in order to be able to say it was scientifically proven, and it did almost nothing to cover scent. It had been on the market for about 2-3 years before they did it and I'm not sure they stopped making it the same way.
              Go the cheap route. If he insists then buy a bottle of the hunting detergent and keep it filled up with the cheap stuff and he will NEVER notice.
              That's a great idea if he insists on buying it I am going to keep refilling the bottle he will never know. Thank you!

              Comment


              • #8
                Yes, it will work just fine. In fact, I use even cheaper stuff (Purex, scent-free, dye free) and I capture deer for research for a living. Every deer I have darted has been at <20 yards, and I've probably darted more deer than most people have killed in their entire lifetime of hunting. Darting deer is basically bow hunting with a dart gun. It requires close shots, extremely slow movements, and lots of patience.

                Tell your husband that when it comes to "scent control" there is no replacement for playing the wind...period!
                Attached Files

                Comment


                • #9
                  Use whatever is on sale, scent free and of no UV brightener.
                  Do like the Atsco sportwash. It seems to clean well and my stuff doesn't fade.

                  Trick is to buy it in bulk after season (closeout).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bioguy01 View Post
                    Yes, it will work just fine. In fact, I use even cheaper stuff (Purex, scent-free, dye free) and I capture deer for research for a living. Every deer I have darted has been at <20 yards, and I've probably darted more deer than most people have killed in their entire lifetime of hunting. Darting deer is basically bow hunting with a dart gun. It requires close shots, extremely slow movements, and lots of patience.

                    Tell your husband that when it comes to "scent control" there is no replacement for playing the wind...period!
                    Are you darting all these deer in moderate to high hunting pressure areas during hunting season?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      FWIW I keep my hunting clothes in sealed containers until I get where I'm hunting, and when I leave I pack them back up.

                      Try to keep them as neutral or "scent free" as possible.

                      But then I'd toss my hunting partner from my moving vehicle if he opened a thermos of coffee in my truck.

                      Dunno what all triggers a deer's alarm system but have always been of the belief that smell wise: "if it wasn't there yesterday, it probably shouldn't be there today".

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I use Arm & Hammer Scent Free Laundry Soap powder on all my laundry and Earth Scent Dryer Sheets by Scent-A-Way on my Hunting Gear, Then hang my Hunting Gear on a line out side for a Day or Two, Then they go in to a Plastic Bag with a fresh Earth Scent Dryer Sheet...It's Works for Me!! ~JMO~ Don't Fool your Man..To win!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                          Stick by your guns sweet cakes!
                          Tell Mr. Scent Killer if that crap really worked, drug smuggler's would buy train loads if it!
                          Hint:
                          Wash hunting clothes in your ALL. Clean is more important than scent.
                          If you use dryer sheets, run a couple of bath towels through the dryer without dryer sheets. THEN dry hunting clothes. Better yet, hang them outside to dry! No dryer "scent" at all.
                          From a 64 year old hunter who quit buying scent killer crap years ago and still kills deer!
                          What Bubba said. Some of us just fall for marketing. Spend the money on a warm hat or a better bullet. +1

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                            Use whatever is on sale, scent free and of no UV brightener.
                            Do like the Atsco sportwash. It seems to clean well and my stuff doesn't fade.

                            Trick is to buy it in bulk after season (closeout).
                            FirstBubba and Bioguy01 have a firm grip on the situation. The Purex is what I use, along with scent free Bounce (if I use dryer sheets at all---not really necessary.)

                            My oulook on scent control is like controlling noise in the woods---you'll never be completely quiet, or scentless, but you can keep both to a minimum and you still have to watch the wind. All my ScentLok stuff is in the back corner of my closet and will likely stay there.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              There is some good advice here and I agree that many products sold are expensive and do not warrant their price. I have always washed my hunting clothes in baking soda or Borax or a combination of them. Shaved unscented Ivory soap was always a mainstay if they were very dirty. Just stay away from U.V brighteners and scented soap. Always air dry then pack in sealed container. Stay down wind. I am allergic to those soaps that have "fresh scent" added.

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                              Right Rail 1

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Right Rail 3

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X