Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just posted two photos of a New Jersey road kill seven point whitetail buck. Automobiles will kill more deer during the next three months. The biggest road kill buck I ever seen was on the shoulder of a highway was in Saskatchewan, Canada. What was

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just posted two photos of a New Jersey road kill seven point whitetail buck. Automobiles will kill more deer during the next three months. The biggest road kill buck I ever seen was on the shoulder of a highway was in Saskatchewan, Canada. What was

I just posted two photos of a New Jersey road kill seven point whitetail buck. Automobiles will kill more deer during the next three months. The biggest road kill buck I ever seen was on the shoulder of a highway was in Saskatchewan, Canada. What was your biggest road kill animal ever seen in your lifetime?

I can only tell you it was really big and it had a very nice rack, bigger than any I have shot. (Not that, that says very much. lol.) I had a Buick LeSabre back in 1990ish and it went in front of the car that was going the opposite direction as I was on the highway late one night. The deer almost got hit by that car, but luckily for that person it got hit by mine. It was the first deer I ever hit with a vehicle. I had already had many deer kills hunting, but I was hysterical that I hit one with my car. I never saw it after it thumped, thumped, thumped under my tires. I kind of lost it. It was gone the next day. I remember very clearly to this day how it's shadowy form just appeared in front of my headlights. As for the deer hit by other vehicles, the bigs one have their antlers cut off by people before I get to see them.

Comment

It was not a deer, but several years ago my wife and I were on a bike ride on a back road in AR when we passed a feral boar pig laying in the ditch that had to be 300 lbs in the least. Fortunately for us, and if you have ever rode a motorcycle you know what I mean, it was a fresh kill. I am very happy it was not us that hit it or we would not be here today.

Comment

I have seen several moose hit by vehicles in northern Maine. Sadly, these long legged animals often go through the windshield and the operators don't fare to well. Rt 11 from Houlton,ME to Ashland, ME has a very high moose vehicle collision rate.

Comment

Sg72, that's a New Jersey thing cutting off road kill heads and antlers. I was driving between Wayne and Butler on Route 23 and a guy on the road shoulder was cutting the head off a small basket six point.
          Maybe that guy wants to lied to his friends that he shot a six point.
          I wanted to cut the antlers off that monster Saskatchewan road kill buck so I could use them to rattle with.
          The Indian Guide said I would have to tag it because the airlines wouldn't let me take the antlers home without a tag. I said No Thanks, I'm not wasting my buck tag on a road kill.
          I was amazed that huge buck laid dead on the shoulder of that busy road all week and nobody touch it. If that buck was dead on the road in Jersey there would of been a large mob fighting over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
            Sg72, that's a New Jersey thing cutting off road kill heads and antlers. I was driving between Wayne and Butler on Route 23 and a guy on the road shoulder was cutting the head off a small basket six point.
            I wanted to cut the antlers off that monster Saskatchewan road kill buck so I could use them to rattle with.
            The Indian Guide said I would have to tag it because the airlines wouldn't let me take the antlers home without a tag. I said No Thanks, I'm not wasting my buck tag on a road kill.
            I was amazed that huge buck laid dead on the shoulder of that busy road all week and nobody touch it. If that buck was dead on the road in Jersey there would of been a large mob fighting over it.
            A horse. Like to have killed the driver. He had to be taken to the hospital for treatment. Several years ago I had a big ten point on my property. I had thousands of pics of him. It was two weeks to bow season. We have a pretty busy highway that runs through part of our property. I got word that a really good deer had been hit on the highway but not found. I searched but couldn't find anything. The big 10 was no longer showing up on my trail cameras. I continued to search without any luck. Then in February I found him submerged in a ditch. the buck had been under water for the majority of hunting season. Great buck scoring well over 150. I was glad I finally found him I just hate his life ended that way.

Comment

A horse. Like to have killed the driver. He had to be taken to the hospital for treatment. Several years ago I had a big ten point on my property. I had thousands of pics of him. It was two weeks to bow season. We have a pretty busy highway that runs through part of our property. I got word that a really good deer had been hit on the highway but not found. I searched but couldn't find anything. The big 10 was no longer showing up on my trail cameras. I continued to search without any luck. Then in February I found him submerged in a ditch. the buck had been under water for the majority of hunting season. Great buck scoring well over 150. I was glad I finally found him I just hate his life ended that way.

Comment

In Pa it's illegal to cut off the antlers of road kill unless you have a something from a game warden saying you can. Anyways the biggest roadkill I have seen was a 6 pt I think, but when I was in Alaska this summer when we were pulling into Denali national park the first animal we saw was a moose that just got hit by an rv. Everyone looked ok, but the dog in the rv looked a little scared. When we saw the moose it was still alive so i'm guessing the police put it down, then next thing we saw was a suv attached to a boat in the ditch, the boat looked a little to big for the suv though.

Comment

I was following my neighbor home after a high school football game last year and he hit a 140 inch typical 8 point whitetail on the highway. He called the game warden and sheriff. We took the carcass home and I showed him how to field dress them and he ended up having it processed.

Comment

No way I would have wasted my tag either. Hopefully the antlers get cut off in Jersey for rattling purposes. It's much easier to cut them off a deer that is dead on the highway, than to find the sheds in the woods.

Comment

I saw a very large doe dead on the side of the road, ironically on the way to go hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by ALJoe View Post
                        Depends on your definition of the word big. In my years on the road a Skunk always seemed the biggest road kill. You can sense them for miles!!

Comment

The biggest I have seen was a large button buck but my buddy just told me that he once saw a roadkill bear

Comment

Depends on your definition of big. With all my years on the road I think a Skunk was the biggest. You can sense them for miles!

Comment

Having experimented with rattling for several years I have finally settled on the Magnum Pack Rack. It works better than anything out there including the 10 point set of antlers I sawed apart for rattling. Rattled in a shot a 142 inch * point Sept 16th. Pics are on my page. Just thought you might like to know.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Court Says.....
                                by jhjimbo
                                Can not restrict concealed carry.
                                Lawyer on TV says Court should look at history and tradition. If we did that we would be burning witches at the...
                                Today, 01:01 PM
                              • Reply to You guys are sleeping
                                by Danbo
                                What? How?
                                Are they not true?

Did I hit a nerve ?

Every thing I said is true. Our criminals have many handguns without...
                                Today, 12:56 PM
                              • You guys are sleeping
                                by fitch270
                                Can’t believe I’m posting this first.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna17721
                                06-23-2022, 11:54 AM
                                by jhjimbo
                                I said a permit could stop someone who should not get one, period. All the other qualifiers you added and really, they sound stupid....
                                Today, 12:30 PM
                                by Danbo
                                The sheriff does it here in NY also but yet the criminals still have any firearms that they wan in NY. Ohio must have no gun violence if you think the...
                                Today, 12:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X