Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was watching one of the outdoor shows last night (something I rarely do) when a segment came up on deer hunting in Iowa. The h

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was watching one of the outdoor shows last night (something I rarely do) when a segment came up on deer hunting in Iowa. The h

I was watching one of the outdoor shows last night (something I rarely do) when a segment came up on deer hunting in Iowa. The hunter was the originator and owner of a very popular camo line. He watched several 120 - 130 class deer feed with teeth clentched and appeared to be put off that nothing "better" was going to show up. When a really nice heavy racked (6 X 6) mature buck came in he pepped up a little. He then noticed a broken G2 on this buck of lifetime for most folks and positively went into a funk. He became indignant and sat there muttering to himself. This buck (I know TV makes everything bigger) looked to be well into the 160's and was massive. To me such a broken tine on and old bruiser would add character. I'd be proud the Lord above gave me the opportunity. Insted this gentleman grumbled and complained as if someone had urinated into his morning bowl of oatmeal. How does one qualify such a reaction to a truly regal Whitetail buck?

I've found some of the newer hunting shows very disappointing in reference to exactly what you are talking about. Its seems like these shows are really getting farther and farther away from a realistic hunt. All they talk about is "shooter" bucks, mass, and scoring all from their box blind perch inside their high fence ranch. I think its sad that this is what they are showing when for the vast majority of sportsmen/women its never about the score its about being outdoors with our families and friends and the thrill of the hunt, not the bragging rights of a trophy.

Comment

There are very few guys on these hunting shows that i can stand. Bill Jordan, Jackie Bushman, Mike Hanbeck or Tom Miranda are not among them. Lotta fluff. Most of these are caged, excuse me, canned hunts. Way to go guys.

Comment

Steve,

The previously mentioned gentleman is high up on your list... As for Miranda, I've have seen him take footage off of (presumably purchased the rights) hunting videos and pass it off on his own show as his own work. I was given a Real Tree Turkey video by one of Jordan's minions. Several months later I was passing the time early one rainy Sunday morning half watching Miranda's show. I recognized the hunt footage from the video, at the conclusion Miranda was dubbed in with a gobbler that looked as if it were still frozen. Wonder how many times that dead tom made an appearance in a show? That very show is chief among the reasons I don't watch very much "outdoor" TV. If you can't really do it, just make it up to keep the cash flowing...

Comment

As for the hunter you mention in the show. He is spoiled.

As for the shows in general. Most fall between the relm of selling you crap and boosting the host ego.

Comment

Those guys are "hunting" on protected farms and the shows make a mockery of the work and preparation that goes into shooting a monster-once in a life time buck like that for most of us. Unrealistic to say the least.

Comment

One of the main reasons i can't stand the guys i mentioned above is their seemily feigned enthusiasm. Lotta fake looking emotion, excitement, hand motions, etc. Very lousy acting, and huge egos in my opinion. Although i guess i'd have a hard time feigning excitement too 'hunting' in a petting zoo. Not to mention the passing on 150+" bucks. Spomer's ok as far as hunting show guys go i guess. Also, i'm sick of seeing these guys take unethical shots, or make lousy shots. If you make a lousy shot, or wound a deer, it should be on the film editors floor.

Comment

Steve182,

I could not agree more about the poor shooting ethics of the TV hunter. I'm an avid archery hunter and see many "less than desirable shots" taken on game.

Too many shots are taken on moving animals and animals quartering towards you. I also love it when they shoot through brush with an arrow. All unethical and in my opinion show only how desparete the hunter is.

I have said before. I give myself one shot a year for a buck. If I miss I eat my tag.

Comment

most every show on today is sickening , not all but most . my twelve year old son can shoot bucks like that if he was hunting in the same deer factory's as these guys .some of these men really need a reality check for their blown up egos. most are not great hunters rather than fortunate ones .that are trying to sell you their products and to get you to choke down another of their cookie cutter hunts .

come to think of it beekeeper i wouldent mind making their morning oatmeal, eat up boys you need your strength to sit in that heated box stand all morning enjoy : )

Comment

Todays hunting shows are nothing more than trash. I cannot even stomach myself to watch them after being brought up on The American Sportsman and Michigan Outdoors back in the 60's and 70's. Today's shows are all on protected or high fence farms and its easy to tell and they just plain SUCK WIND.

Comment

The tv hunters seem to not hunt for a sport or their own well being, they seem to be more worried about PERFECT racked, monsters. they dont seem to worry about the fact that deer=food and food=life. they look at it like big buck=fame. i think its completly wrong. sure we all enjoy watching some tv and seeing monster bucks that would be the buck of a life time(broken tine or not) but we have to realize that although they give us tips, they dont set a good example. Heres an example from thier point of view: Wife: Did you kill any deer today honey?
                      Husband: 10 I coulda shot, none over 150", sorry honey another night without food.
                      You see they just poison the mind of young hunters like myself. Im now out of the habbit of only worrying about killing a big buck. Sure its nice and fun but we have to realize that deer are a food source and we dont just have to use them for thier antlers, yes we all love a big buck but like my dad always says, "Ya cant eat the antlers!"

Comment

your right hunterkid94 a big rack is just icing on the cake .nice to see you relise that young man

Comment

thanks cooner. I guess its just the way ive been raised.....

Comment

I was watchin a fishin show this morning, and it seemed like i was watchin a big infomercial for quantum. kevin van dam was tellin us how to fish the shallow running strike king sexy shad with the new quantum energy pt with a 5:2 ratio with XPS flourocarbon. He also told us to have a different rod and reel spooled with about 30 different lines. I'm glad he has the money to do all that mess, but get real. most people cant have 30 or 40 combos with the quantum mess and flourocarbon. I wish i could see a real fishin show for us normal folks.

Comment

I've mentioned before I've quit watching these hunting shows. It's pathetic compared to the real hunting shows. Hunting mags are now spending alot of money in print trying to get me to spend more money on cable to get the Outdoor Channel. Why? For this crap?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How do you fly ?
                                by crm3006
                                I either buy the rifle and scope as a combination, with a specific pairing or purpose in mind, or, if I find a really good deal on a scope, buy it to...
                                Today, 05:09 PM
                              • How do you fly ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
                                Today, 04:18 PM
                              • Reply to Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                                by 99explorer
                                CRM - You forgot to post the source of that great news item you are asking us to cut and paste and forward on.
                                Today, 05:06 PM
                              • Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                New cases and hospitalizations ballooned this week in several states including Texas, Oklahoma, California, and Mississippi. Hospitals in Houston are...
                                06-24-2020, 08:09 PM
                              • Reply to Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                                by crm3006
                                You see what you want to see, and everything you disagree with, is disregarded, or said to be fiction, in the eyes of honk the phony. Go plagiarize an...
                                Today, 04:58 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X