Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it croppie or crappie? I never know for sure. I thought it was croppie but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elton Eschbach
    replied
    Here is the correct way of pronouncing it. With even an added bonus of name origination

Leave a comment:

• mrrodwell
    replied
    This fish, like others, has dozens of names. Strawberry bass, oswego bass, new light, light, spec, papermouth...on and on. They are all correct because they are nicknames and not the scientific name. So you may call them what you want.
    The problem is how to pronounce the word crappie. Here you have NO wiggle room if you want to be correct. In English, we follow rules of grammar that assist us with pronunciation and sentence structure. When dealing with words that contain double consonants, the preceding vowel sounding is ALWAYS shortened. Long vowel sounds "say the name of the vowel," like in,(a), say, lay, and way. The short vowel sound for (a) is like: has, glad, pad, happy. There is one additional rule. When the double consonants are LL's, then and only then may you use the "stressed" version of the vowel sound (a) like in wall, hall, stall.
    Some folks like to confuse words like papa and talapia, but they do not count because they do not contain double consonants. You will not find one word with double consonants that doesn't have the "a"pple short vowel sounding of the letter a. Only ones with double LL's.
    So, if you are pronouncing crappie. It sounds happy.
    Should you pronounce it croppie, you must spell it as such. I always ask folks that pronounce crappie as croppie if I can take them Boss fishing! (Bass has double consonants)
    Also, crap has one p. So if you are concerned with eating crap, it comes with one side of p. Crappie on the other hand, are delicious fish!
    Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• lindabarber
    replied
    In middle and west Tennessee as well as Mississippi where my Dad grew up, it is pronounced "croppie" and spelled "crappie" although I doubt my father ever spelled it in his life! He just KNEW how to catch them. My uncle, Roy Barber, of Tullahoma, TN once was called the Crappie King in an article somewhere. He was a champion crappie fisherman (deceased) now but I'd say my Dad was at least a Prince and my brother has followed that tradition.

Leave a comment:

• lakenapa
    replied
    In Georgia it is pronounced just as it is spelled, crappie.

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with jlfreeborn and + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• fisherman14
    replied
    Ive heard it both ways but I call them crappie. Ive usually heard it pronounced croppie in southern states.

Leave a comment:

• CavRecon
    replied
    Spelled "crappie", pronounced "croppy"

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    I thaught It was Croppie until I started seeing posted hear. Never heard it called Crappie before. Sound's more like sour meat than a fish. I'll eat um no matter how it's spelled.

Leave a comment:

• thejaker
    replied
    I really don't care, but I've heard it pronounced both ways.

Leave a comment:

• BamaCreekBum
    replied
    Everyone in Alabama that i know spell it Crappie but pronounce it with an "O" instead of an "A".

Leave a comment:

• hunterkid94
    replied
    pronounced croppie, spelled crappie.

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    A good crappie day is a wonderful thing.

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    Are you refering to having a bad day?

Leave a comment:

• matouse3
    replied
    Hey, lay off S. Michigan, I've never pronounced it "Craapie"

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    I never heard anyone in Alabama call a crappie anything other than pronounced "crop-ie", no "a" sound in the word. Some of you must be from Southern Michigan or somewhere other than Alabama, Mississippi, or Tennessee. LOL

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad