Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you met any of today's outdoor celebreties or prominent folks that you were impressed with and if so, who? I have spoken w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you met any of today's outdoor celebreties or prominent folks that you were impressed with and if so, who? I have spoken w

Have you met any of today's outdoor celebreties or prominent folks that you were impressed with and if so, who? I have spoken with Larry Weishuhn at sport shows a couple of times and he seems to be a true southern gentleman who is interested in us everyday folks. Let's leave the bad eggs alone who believe their own publicity and are legends in their own mind and stay with the genuine nice guys. Also, who would you like to meet?

Hank Parker is a decent fellow. Once had lunch with him at a McDonald's while he was traveling to a youth fishing tournament. Down to earth fellow who seemed to be able to laugh at himself.

Comment

I too met Mr. Weishuhn( like meeting a deer hunting God to me) and he took the time to ask me about MY hunting.
      I also met Ted Barta once, a little brusque, but did thank me for coming to listen to his lecture.
      As for your question "Who would you like to meet?"
      Thak would be hard for me seeing as how their all gone now. Bear,O'Conner,Keith,Gowudy,etc.

Comment

Met russell thornberry once, but I would really like to meet hank parker.

Comment

Jim Zumbo is a heck of a nice guy whom I've spoken with on several occasions. Wayne Van Zwoll is one of the best guys you could meet.

I'd like to meet "Gentleman Jim" Carmicheal. Hell, I'd like to meet David Petzal, who is probably a bigger curmudgeon than I am!

Comment

i know its not possible any longer but i would say FRED BEAR .

Comment

I'd agree, I'd like to meet Zumbo, Petzal, and Carmichael. The later two especially. But I'd also give my first born if I could spend some time in the field with Harry Selby and Finn Aagaard. Not only were both excellant hunters and PH's but everything I've read indicates they were not only absolute sportsmen with their game and hunters in mind, but also absolute gentleman who knew how to conduct themselves.

Comment

Yes meeting Mr. Zumbo,Carmicheal,or Mr. Petzal would be nice. I think Jim's on a good line here with Mr. Selby and Mr. Aagaard. What about "Gentleman" Jim Corrbett(big time hunter in India).

Comment

my answer will turn back the clock and not mean much to the younger crowd, but i got a chance to meet Harold Ensley, the "Sportsman's Friend" (name of his show). if you lived in the Midwest in the late 50's, 60's, and 70'd, his show was on live on sunday nights. i spent a couple of hours in his living room listening to hunting and fishing stories in Kansas City a few years back. what a marvelous experience. he was 90-something at the time and died a couple of years later but he was indeed, the Sportsman's friend. he was one of the true pioneers of the tv outdoor shows and he did 48 live shows a year, using the film from trips he'd taken the week before.

Comment

We used to get Mr. Ensley's show downsouth on Saturday evenings. I really enjoyed it during the late 60's and early to mid 70's. I had almost forgotten about him. Thanks for the memory.

Comment

I would love to meet Mr. Petzal, most of the other writers I have met and had discourse with. During public gathering so many people are vying for their attention, and pulling at their sleeves it is difficult for them to be themselves. As they become better known often some of the public will put them down unfairly . I was on a board with Jim Zumbo and he was always a sincere gentleman. After an elk seminar he came out of his way to thank me for attending. I provided information and a couple of pictures for an article Terry Wieland wrote, when ever he sees me, no matter how large the gathering pushes through to say hello and chat. Craig Boddington gave an elephant hunting seminar during Dallas Safari Club standing room only but he came over to say hello. Believe me, I am nobody important in his world. Later that same , week I sat at dinner between Craig and Peter Flack, famous africanhunter/writer. They could not have been nicer to me, while people of self importance were crawling all over them.

Comment

i have met Larry Weishuhn at th WI Deer and Turkey Expo and he seemed very nice. I like him because he shows his misses on tv and gives no excuse other than he screwed up.

Comment

I have met Byron Ferguson and Tom Knapp, have to say, I was much more impressed with Byrons shooting than Toms.

Comment

I have to echo Happy Myles about Craig Boddington. Met Lyn St. James a couple weeks ago - very nice lady. Have also met some local Michigan outdoor writers and TV show hosts. All were very cordial, with one exception. I tend to just acknowledge someone I recognize with a smile and a nod but give them their space unless there is a very specific reason to approach them.

Comment

Thanks for all of the interesting input. Here are a few of my favorites in addition to Larry Weishuhn. I got to talk to Harold Knight some time back at a sport show. I caught his eye in the booth and said that I'd like to talk to him a bit when he got thru with his current visitor. In that beautiful southern drawl he says "well I'd like to talk to you too". I got to meet the late Ben Lee a few years before his untimely demise and he was a nice guy as well. Got to meet Cuz Strickland last winter, another true southern gentleman. If you want a good read, be sure to get his book on turkey hunting according to Cuz. I've also gotten the opportunity to talk to Bob Faulkrod as well, all of who came across to me as real nice guys. I'd still like to meet David Hale, Will Primos, and of course DEP, the holy grail of outdoor celebs, but he's probably too busy dealing with all the groupies following him around. haha. Good hunting.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad