Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay so I rode my bike out of town to a local creek and i'm only 12 so I was a little nervous because it was my first creek fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay so I rode my bike out of town to a local creek and i'm only 12 so I was a little nervous because it was my first creek fish

Okay so I rode my bike out of town to a local creek and i'm only 12 so I was a little nervous because it was my first creek fishing trip without my dad and i was fishing and I looked down and saw a bear track. I put my hand next to it and the track was bigger then my hand. There's no grizzlies in the U.P of Michigan. I have no experience tracking bears so I was wondering how big this bear might be. I measured it and it was 6 inches across and 4 inches from the back of the pad to the tip of the toe.

This is just a guess but I'd say in the 150/200 lb range.

Comment

6 inch wide front pad? This is a real beast. People that want a bear in the books look for tracks like this.

Comment

Small-ish Black Bear......

Comment

That sounds like a front foot. The back foot is longer than it is wide. IMS for each inch the front pad is wide the hide should square approximately 1 foot. Hence 6 inch track equals a 6 ft bear. That is a medium to fairly large sized black bear. Depending on area. In Northern AK that would be big. In Southern AK where they eat Salmon not so big.
          I found a grizzly track in a creekbed near Cantwell, AK once. My size 12 boot easily fit into his rear paw print.

Comment

I don't know Web, Next time bring your dad and a 357.

Comment

You add 1 to the front pad width in inches and you have what the bear squares. So this is about a 7 foot bear. A big one.

Comment

Being a bear hunter up in Northern WI, I have seen my fair share of bear tracks. Six inches is pretty wide, a nice bear, but to consider the size(weight) of the bear depends on much the print sinks into the soil. If it is hard ground and still leaves a dent in the soil then it would be a dandy.We haverst on bear 2 years ago with a 5 1/2 inch pad that weighed only 225 lbs. It is really hard to guess the size of a bear just on the size of the track. We killed 350 pound bear that the track was not very wide but sunk into the ground pretty good. So you really can not go by the size of the track. Also if you see a bear, to determine if it is a nice bear, pay attention to the length but more imporantly the space between the belly of the bear and the ground.The less space there is the biggger the bear.

Comment

Mr.Kyle i would like to inform you that the track was in mud. It was sunk in about 3 or 4 inches but i didn't measure the depth.

Comment

It is hard to guess the size of the bear without seeing the track but from your information i would have to guess 250-350 pounds not a monster but a nice bear.

Comment

So do you guys think that it would be safe to go fish there or should i go somewhere else. I know that black bears aren't as agressive and dangerous as grizzlies, but i still think that a black bear could be dangerous if i was in it's fishing grounds and i hope that there was no cub tracks that i didn't know about cuz nothing is more dangerous than a sow with cubs.

Comment

web7,

It will be fine to fish there!! That bear might be at the same spot weeks from now. I would still fish there if I was in your boat. They are more afraid of you than you are of him!!! If you do not mess with the cubs like trying trying to play with them you will be okay. This time of year the cubs know to listen to momma bear and when mamma smells you she will take her cubs and get out the there. The bear nose is hundreds times stronger than you and I. So don't be afraid to keep on fishing there. If you want to hear some good bear hunting stories let know.

Comment

Where do you get that inch wide pad into one foot long. example 6 inch pad=6 foot long bear?

Comment

Sure i could go for some bear hunting stories just post em and i'll read em. Do you hunt bears? If so whats the biggest one you've harvested?

Comment

Oh by the way mr kyle if you want to see hunting and fishing pictures of me then look at walleye photos and go to "Limited Out" or on photos go to "First Deer"

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad