Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking to buy a brand new 4wheeler what brands and size should I get I will be use it for hunting and a little bit of muddi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking to buy a brand new 4wheeler what brands and size should I get I will be use it for hunting and a little bit of muddi

I'm looking to buy a brand new 4wheeler what brands and size should I get I will be use it for hunting and a little bit of muddi

Can't beat a Yamaha, IMHO. I have never had my 600 Grizzly break down. After 12 years I had the carbs cleaned by the Dealer. One set of tires and a couple batteries and that is it. I change the oil/filter once a year, Mobil 1, 5W30. Still have the original belt. If you are going for mud, you will probably want special tires. I just use stock tires and go everywhere on my own property.

Comment

Whatever size Honda fits you. Never fond of the belt drive models.

Comment

Both great suggestions. I really like Yamahas Kodiak and Grizzly models. However the Hondas have pretty well proven themselves with reliability. If your looking for a stout little machine you can pound the snot out of you might try a Honda. The Yamaha might be more of a bells and whistles machine? Either way WAM is right on in saying the belt driven models aren't the way to go. Especially if water and mud are on your agenda. When they get wet they tend to slip. Just my 2 cents. Good luck searching!

Comment

I've got two Honda's! An '03 Recon and an '06 Foreman ES.
          They fill all my needs from plowing to simply hauling my carcass around.

Comment

I would go with Honda also, And what your Budget will allow, And Run Mobil 1 or Ames Oil in it.

Comment

While Treestand's suggestion on engine oil might be ok for some ATV applications, I can tell you it is not appropriate for a Honda. Hondas have an automotive type gear transmission that shares the same oil with the engine. The centrifugal clutch will not work properly with some oils that do not have the correct friction modifiers for the clutch. Use OEM Honda brand oil or a recommended equivalent motorcycle type oil. If the extra $8.00 for Honda brand oil is too much, maybe the four wheeler is out of the budget anyway.

Comment

WAM,
                My Honda motorcycle has a wet clutch and I use
                Honda GN4 10W-40 oil rated SJ for the engine crankcase and transmission. The label says it is good for all Honda 4 cycle motorcycles and ATV's. Places like AutoZone also sell an equivalent SJ rated oil.
                My Yamaha Grizzly has a Automatic Transmission and is separate from the crankcase.

P.S. I have never heard of a Yamaha having a problem with a belt. I still have the original belt and the Dealer says it is fine. I pull logs and piles of 6 or 8 deer 1+mile back to camp, plus some logs from time to time. Some of the logs might weigh up to 500+ lbs. It is like the Energizer Bunny, keep on going, going and going.

Comment

Not really familiar with innards of Yamaha machines, but they do make good stuff. I just know my Hondas work and work a long time if taken care of properly. But it does seem that the Honda Foreman's seem to start and leave camp earlier than those that are hard to start.....

Comment

I would go look at the Hondas. Very solid machine in my opinion. My Rancher has never let me down.

Comment

Buyer beware of those come on adds for low interest loans when buying an ATV. Yes initial payments may be around 80.00 or so but that only lasts for 2 years and you pay very little on the principal and then there is a jump to high interest. My son bought a 06 honda in 2007 and is still making payments on it. Better off using conventional financing.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Gun Values
                        by jhjimbo
                        I don't know about the numbers for the Win. '94.I see them at shows for $1200.
                        I bought one handgun in '65 that is now worth north of $1000...
                        Today, 12:13 PM
                      • Gun Values
                        by jhjimbo
                        08-06-2022, 08:00 PM
                      • Reply to Gun Values
                        by 99explorer
                        Jimbo -
                        No big whoops.
                        It's only money.
                        Today, 11:29 AM
                      • Reply to "Inflation 'Pro'duction Bill"
                        by jhjimbo
                        The CBO and Univ of Penn both say Biden is full of it. This massive give away will increase inflation big time.
                        Today, 11:29 AM
                      • "Inflation 'Pro'duction Bill"
                        by FirstBubba
                        I'm still paying over $4/gal for diesel. Sometimes over $5/gal.

Inflation is still higher than my COLA raise.

Groceries are...
                        Today, 07:36 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X