Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anything I can do about the ticks that are covering my deer herd? Trail cam photos are turning up masses of them around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anything I can do about the ticks that are covering my deer herd? Trail cam photos are turning up masses of them around

Is there anything I can do about the ticks that are covering my deer herd? Trail cam photos are turning up masses of them around the developing antlers of the bucks and covering the ears of the does. Any suggestions? Is it a normal thing I should leave be?

Its pretty normal to see that this time of year. I live in MI, they are crawling with them this time of year, but come hunting season they are mostly gone due to the weather. Don't think there is much you can do. I've read that Guineafowl will eat large quantities of them- but that won't help the ones that are on the deer already but it could keep the population down in the area.

Comment

Yeah guineas will eat thousands of them daily i've read.

Comment

Normal yes, cause' that's were the "blood" is.
        Can't do anything about it unless you want to buy a tranq. gun and "flea collars" for all the deer(LOL)(sorry). They'll be fine, it happens every year. We just notice it more now because of the camera's.

Comment

It is an unfortunate but normal part of the woodland creatures life.

Comment

It's somewhat normal, but this does seem to be a bad year for ticks. More than usual.

Comment

I have noticed that the ticks in Eastern WA are bad this year too... I have never seen so many during a spring season.

Comment

Ticks have been bad past few years. I came across a yearling dear a couple years ago. It was covered with ticks almost to the point of having more ticks than hair. My guess is that the ticks killed it. If you have your own property you could spray or burn out the under brush in controled spots. Might check with the local Game and fish and ask what can be done, before taking it in your own hands.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How much is too much?
                    by DakotaMan
                    WOW! Do you mind if I frame that for my shop Red? That is the absolutely best answer I've ever heard on this mystery question. You've got to get the bullet...
                    Today, 01:23 PM
                  • How much is too much?
                    by FirstBubba
                    There is no doubt that a .30-06 Spgfld is more than adequate to actually slay a whitetail.

A lot of newbies come here and ask, "What...
                    Yesterday, 09:40 AM
                  • Reply to 30 06 bullets
                    by Pmacc60
                    Great and most important point made here CRM3006!. My rifle loved the 165 gr Nos partitions . It wouldn’t shoot 150’s at all so that’s what I use....
                    Today, 01:17 PM
                  • 30 06 bullets
                    by Cobey alvarez
                    What 30-06 bullet is better for deer rem core lokt or Hornady American whitetail...
                    07-07-2020, 11:41 PM
                  • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                    by DakotaMan
                    Interesting and it seems like a pretty good idea. Is there any risk of hitting the trigger while feeling for the switch when you are in a panic? That...
                    Today, 01:05 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X