Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who on here is the ex sniper? and who hear has served in the military? i had a few qustions about joining. sorry this doesnt rea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who on here is the ex sniper? and who hear has served in the military? i had a few qustions about joining. sorry this doesnt rea

who on here is the ex sniper? and who hear has served in the military? i had a few qustions about joining. sorry this doesnt realy relate to fieldand stream i would rather talk to normal soldiers rather than recruters

Matt,

I'm not the former sniper but joining the military was the single best move I've done since high school. It paid for college.

Comment

Matt, Yes among other jobs I was a recruiter at one time back in the late 70's. I was drafted in 1970 and stayed for 20 years. Never would have joined on my own. Glad I was drafted. A career in the military will be WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT. I had one tour in Viet Nam as an INfantryman in the 101st Abn Div. Spent 3 years in Hawaii, 3.5 in Alaska, Also got to see Australia, Thailand, Guam and about 30 states. Most of my High School classmates never left hometown and have had what I consider dull lives. You can click my username and find in the comments and answer sections stories about many of my experiences. Any more questions leave me a message here in the answer section I read it everyday. I wanted to go to sniper school (always shot expert on the rifle range) just never got around to it.

Comment

Not the sniper here either.(I've known/related to a few)
        I was in the Navy(U.S.S Nimitz/Aircraft Carrier).
        I got to see most of Europe,South America,and some of the East/West coasts in my time in.
        I joined up out of high school and became the "youngest" lauch petty officer on the Nimitz(at the time). I worked catapult #3 on the waste side.

Comment

I graduated sniper school and spent a while in STA platoon. Wasnt much different than regular infantry platoon so I transfered back to infantry. I spent almost a year TAD as a coach on the rifle range. I enjoyed all my time in the Corps but the time in my rifle platoon was the best.

Comment

My son was a sniper and served 14-months in Iraq. He would call 'ol dad after each mission ... his stories about the danger and the people he would encounter were always interesting!

I was glad he would call "after" each mission,but his last mission out, he called before. Needless to say, I prayed a lot that evening ...

Do you have any specific questions mattreney?

Comment

Almost 24 years, active and reserve.

Whatever reason you want to join, make it your own reason. I joined the Marines because at the time, it was the only service that didn't want me. I wasn't the blimp I am today at 5'10", 130 lbs. I used to be a bit thin. I wanted to join the Corps because I got tired of being the kid that the wimps picked on.

The recruiter thought I'd never make it through Parris Island, so he didn't want me. I reckon he had a bad month, because he eventually signed me, and did not have to regret it.

Eventually, especially now, I have learned to be confident about being this thin. I've traveled some, seen a few things, accumulated some stories that only other military people would understand, and more.

Whether you join the military, or go to college, or go to work, remember that everything down the road of your life, indirectly or directly, will be because of that decision.

Comment

I joined the Marine Corps after a year of college back in 2006. So far I have hit my three year mark last month. Picked up E-4 in a year and a half, have been deployed to Afghanistan where I was wounded in an attack. Like stated before the service is what you make of it. Go Marine Corps you won't regret it. Anyone can be a soldier but not everyone can become a Marine. Semper Fi!

Comment

well i was thinking joining the marine corps but i still have about two and a half years before i join. no offense if you are/were a recruiter i still respect you but i can never seem to get a straight answer. what is phisical training like for any of the branches? (how far you have to run in how long, how much you have to lift/bench, pushups and things like that. and how likely do you think i will be stationed on a base i dont realy want to join and still be stuck in ct i know the marines from ct just got back from either iraq or afganastan thanks for the help everybody -matt reney

Comment

Well if you are in shape and I am not talking about round, you will have no problem with physical training. Another thing is great to know, the Drill Instructors will play mind games with you and just prepare yourself. You will run and touch the bulkhead alot. Run time is 3 miles less than 27 mins at least 3 pull ups max is 20, and 45 crunches in 2 minutes max is 100. You can go pretty much where ever you want to an extent. When you get done with MOS school then you request either east coast, west coast or over seas which is japan area. Any more questions just ask. Went through it all three years ago. Oh and do not ever let anyone tell you "You will not get deployed" while it is a possibility that you will not deploy things always change.

Comment

usmcturkey
                      -understand your username now. i never knew what the usmc was thanks for the help i should have came here first i have been trying to find out what you just told me for over a year and you answered it in two days. not as bad is i thought. just need to work on running

Comment

You start out when you first get the running the 1 1/2 mile run. I stopped twice for this and still made the time. After 3 months of boot camp I ran 3 miles in 19:52 which is not bad at all. If you have any more questions I will keep checking back here.

Comment

ok thatnks well that answered my next question on whether those requirments were to even get into boot camp or become a marine. i hate to keep bugging you but you answers realy help. did hunting and fishing seem to help you? a lot of guys were saying it kind of gave them a head start on what they learned.

Comment

I have shot most of my life so that may have helped me shoot expert. Though you form bad habits and they may not help you, you are already a step ahead of the game. Knowing how to read a map helped, in the end is the crucible. It wears down on you physically and emotionally. Man thing is ration your food. Again if you have any more questions let me know.

Comment

ok thanks. i think im good for now though thanks for continuing to check back here it means a lot.
                              -matt

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad