Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I live in Nebraska and I would love to go on an elk hunt before I'm out of highschool. I'll be a freshman next year and my grand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I live in Nebraska and I would love to go on an elk hunt before I'm out of highschool. I'll be a freshman next year and my grand

I live in Nebraska and I would love to go on an elk hunt before I'm out of highschool. I'll be a freshman next year and my grandpa thinks he'll be too old by the time i'm out of high school. So he wants to get me booked for an elk hunt. The thing is, i'm out of state. Out of state permits cost a fortune. for me to go to colorado i would be paying 600 dollars. is there any way to get this any cheaper?

Depending on your age you can put in for youth tags on a "Ranching for Wildlife" place, and do it yourself hunts are alot cheaper than "outfitting". "Cow" tags came down in Colo. too so that might be an option.
    Hope this helps, good luck and good hunting.

Comment

Nebraska has elk hunting opportunities. I don't know much about them.

Idaho has over the counter elk tags for around $400 Colorado in my opinion is a waste of time for OTC tags.
      New Mexico is the best place for non residents to apply but you missed this years cut off.

Because of your age you may be able to get a youth hunt way cheaper. Best advice I can give is to look at all the game and fish websites for each state and do your homework.

Comment

jay..the population of elk in nebraska is terribly slim.

Comment

If you are 17 or under, you can get a NR youth tag for $100. If you read the Colorado regs you will see the details you missed.

Also, don't plan on using a .22 centerfire :-)

Comment

Get a job. Save. Good Luck

Comment

To Jay : Waste of time for OTC tags. Why? Colo. has more elk than Idaho,Montana,New Mexico, and Wyoming put together, as stated by several state game and fish agencys( all the above in fact). Just courious why you'd make that statement.

Comment

jay it also next to impossible to get an elk permit in nebraska, some units only have 1 antlered and 1 antlerless tag available per season

Comment

If you want to shoot a raghorn or cow, Colorado is the best. For those of us that have to spend thousands of dollars on a western hunt; I don't want to settle for filling the freezer; I want some antlers. I can shoot all the venison I want in Illinois.

Colorado manages their elk herd for hunting opportunity and quantity. In my opinion, its not the best state to go if you are looking for a nice big mature bull.

Comment

Agreed with herbie57_57 and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad