Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a goid idea to hunt coyote with a 22

Is it a goid idea to hunt coyote with a 22

Although with a well placed shot you could kill a coyote with a 22., I wouldn't recommend it, as there is a very good chance that you will wound it and it will get away. It would be best to upgrade to a larger gun.

Comment

Keep shots within 40 to 50 yards and use high quality ammo. Shot placement with a .22 LR is of the utmost importance in this instance. Don't expect the "bang-flop" kills of higher velocity rounds.

Comment

No, I would recommend at least a .223 if you are sootinbg it from a distance

Comment

I have used a .22 Magnum and dropped the coyote at approx 25-30 yards because it was stalking on of our dogs, but I cannot recommend the .22 Long Rifle as the cartridge of choice because coyotes cling to life. If wounded, even with an eventually fatal wound, they will get away if at all possible. If you want a reliable minimum to keep noise levels down, I might suggest a .22 Hornet, but the .223 or .22-250 is a better choice.

Comment

There are youtube videos of people shooting yotes with 22s , but if your your going to hunt coyotes with a 22lr I hope you set some nice traps out, or have a good idea of your effective range. Brain shots are not face shots, we are talking plum sized targets behind the eyes. I have pulled 22 pistols out on coyotes, but never got a perfect shot so I didn't bother squeezing the trigger. It will not be the gun's fault if you fail to recover what you have aimed and shot at. I have personally seen 22s take out mature cattle with brain shots.

Comment

Negative from a humanitarian standpoint because of he high risk of inflicting needless suffering, unless the coyote is in the act of doing something even worse.

Comment

www.fieldandstream.com/photos/trophyroom/recent/single?pnid=1001483541#1001483541

Comment

I have seen some sickening shots on coyotes with .22s. I tracked one four miles with four shots in the chest. You rarely see them after the shot as they take off FAST unless it is a brain shot. I would never recommend torturing animals like that. If a .22 is all you have I'd suggest sticking to rabbits and squirrels. If you hunt coyotes, 4 Buck, slugs or a center-fire rifle are much more reliable and above all, are more humane.

Comment

A .22Lr has no place on a yote hunt except for a finishing shot.As much as I dislike Coyote and the Damage they do to our hunting wild life, they deserve better.A 17Hrm,17Hornet,22Hornet,223,on up the line would be a better choice.

Comment

I would highly suggest a larger caliber. Maybe .22/250, .223 .25-06 or a slugged 12 GA.

Comment

OL just put a Wisconsin Deer fatality study on their web site. Interesting findings.
                        Also, a couple guys tried eating coyote, I don't think they will put it on the menu again.

Comment

Yes a 22 is the perfect caliber for coyote

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad