Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I got my answer from a goggle search, but want to poll here. Do taxidermists expect tips? I'm using one for the first

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Del in KS
    replied
    $600 for a shoulder mount, OUCH! thought mine was high at $500. He has done stuff for museums.

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    My taxidermist charges nearly $600 for a deer shoulder mount. I assume the tip is already in there.

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    It seems everybody wants a tip anymore. The only way I might tip a taxidermist is if he's not the owner(mine is) and the work was excetional.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    One of our hunting party was a notorious non-tipper on the road at various restaurants and caf├ęs along the way. When I commented on his behavior, he said he did not worry about it since he likely would not eat there ever again. Strangely enough, he was correct in his prediction......

Leave a comment:

• Pray- hunt-work
    replied
    I have never left a tip either. However I have brought my taxidermist some live lobster for a show of gratitude upon his excellent work. It was also because of the fascination his two young boys have with eating lobster.

Gary D- the fact that she owns the hotel/motel and still cleans the rooms only shows good work ethic on her part. The fact that you leave her a tip only shows good morals on yours. As for your brother, well, he might either step it up a notch or clean his own room.

Leave a comment:

• WVOtter
    replied
    Thanks a lot guys for all the great input. It didn't seem like a tipable situation, but also seems like a lot of folks in this world expect a tip where it hadn't traditionally been done, so didn't want to offend. And chuckles, I'm getting a shoulder mount of a 10 pt. I got this Fall. Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Happy Myles, thank you for answering my question.

Leave a comment:

• twoforks
    replied
    I think we have a misunderstanding on what tips are for. A taxidermist is providing a service that you are paying him for, and most are rather expensive. I built houses for almost 40 years and no one ever gave me a tip for building their house.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    I have no idea how many different top quality taxidermists I have used over the decades, but none of them expect a tip. If a customer expects special treatment by tipping, he is attempting to prolong those who have been waiting patiently for their trophies.
    Gary, I leave a little something in the way of money on the first day with a thank you note for the housekeeper, and,again more, on the last day at a hotel during my stays. Making beds is a thankless, low paying job under the best of circumstances. The habit is unusual enough that I think the housekeeper takes a little better care of the room and sometimes it is made up earlier in the day in case you wish to come back for a rest. Kindest Regards

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    The last taxidermist I employed did not expect a tip.
    HOWEVER! The "turn-a-round" on a shoulder mount proved to be 18/24 months! (or longer!)
    He would let you know, the more you pay "over" his "fee", the sooner your mount would be ready.
    He is a superb taxidermist, but I didn't like you could "buy" your way to the front of the line!
    First come, first serve!

Leave a comment:

• ALJoe
    replied
    Most just want to be paid on time and your mount picked up quickly. I have never tipped. But I have also found that if you bring cash and refer your friends you tend to get a discount.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    I have another tip question.
    WVOtter, I hope you don't mind me asking this question on your posted question.

Sometimes my hunting gang will stay at a motel when we attend different Sportsmen shows. One motel is owned by a young married couple. The owner's wife cleans the rooms.

Do you tip the wife for cleaning the rooms even thou her and her husband or the motel owners?

My brother and I have debated over this. I leave a tip and he doesn't. Who Correct?

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    Ditto~buckhunter
    He gets paid for services rendered!

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    They want repeat business and referrals.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I've never tipped a taxidermist. I used to do taxidermy myself many years ago and never received a tip. I suspect your taxidermist will be happy if you just pay him on time and don't give him a hard time if it takes a while.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad