Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turns out I’m not very good a trout fishing. I went to the Blue Ridge Mountains in Georgia this weekend to do a little Trout Fi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turns out I’m not very good a trout fishing. I went to the Blue Ridge Mountains in Georgia this weekend to do a little Trout Fi

Turns out I’m not very good a trout fishing. I went to the Blue Ridge Mountains in Georgia this weekend to do a little Trout Fishing. I could not pull one in to save my life. Either I would try to set the hook to hard or the hook would not set at all. Needless to say I am going to go back in a couple of weeks. How can I be a successful trout fisherman?

Flyfishing takes practice. You might try a strike indicator to make it more like "bait" fishing and to help fine tune your touch!

Comment

Couple things:

You may have too much hackle on your fly. I ran into sipping trout this weekend. They would just take part of the fly into the mouth and I would pull it right back out while setting the hook. I went to a smaller fly with less hackle and it took care of it Or you can just trim your hackle on the fly you have.

Also, setting the hook on a trout is simply done by raising your rod tip.

Comment

When setting the hook on a trout you only need to raise the tip of your rod like buckhunter said. It takes a little while to get used to it if you are used to fishing for spieces with harder mouths but you will get the hang of it.

Comment

Get yourself a copy of "The Curtis Creek Manifesto." It looks goofy (Whole Earth Catalogue style lettering and drawings) but it's the best primer I've seen.

Comment

I don't know if your flyfishing or not but it sounds like your using to large a hook and your setting it to hard at the strike. You may also be setting the hook to quick.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad