Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you guys deal with a death of a sixteen year old family pet? I only got three hours sleep last night and I can't stop thi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you guys deal with a death of a sixteen year old family pet? I only got three hours sleep last night and I can't stop thi

How do you guys deal with a death of a sixteen year old family pet? I only got three hours sleep last night and I can't stop thinking about him. I know time will heal the sorrow but are there any other suggestions out there?

You have my sympathy. We had to have Bo, possibly the best black lab the world has ever known, put down two years ago. Still brings a tear to my eye. The best thing we did was get a new puppy. Sambo may be the best Boykin spaniel the world has ever know--if I can just get him to quit chewing everything and retrieve.

Comment

Time, amigo. Nothing but time. Seek comfort in the Lord.
      All things must pass.

Comment

Gary, I can't think of thing that will make it easier. It's almost like losing a family member. You certainly have my sympathy.

Comment

Gary, Sorry for your loss. One of my favorite quotes is from the great poet, Robert Frost. When asked about what he had learned about life, the very old Robert Frost simply said "It goes on".

Comment

Gary,
            I can only tell you what not to do, my father lost his beloved English Setter "Freckles" after 14 years, in the mid eighties, he mourned as deeply as he would if it was his own child. All he would say is that he could never own another dog, and that is where I failed him by not insisting that he get a puppy right away. the loss of the dog made him old almost overnight. I would see him when he would look at a pup, and he would smile but only for a moment.They are a lot of work, but dogs keep the soul young. They are always upbeat, always loyal and always give you the gift of child-like belief that there is good in the world, you only have to go out and find it. I myself will never be without a dog, I know when my Holly(my oldest) passes it will be hard, but I need that always positive"we can have fun" attitude in my life. Please get a pup soon, the new ones are not replacements- they are tributes.

Comment

Gary, we went through the same thing nine years ago when our lab of fourteen years passed. My late wife had never been allowed to have a pet when growing up (her dad is a selfish jerk) and in fact Sophie was the first lab that I actually had to put down. She was also the only pet my daughter and late son had ever known. Needless to say the home was devastated. I knew the answer was to get another dog ASAP. However, my wife was shocked at the idea. It sounded cruel and disrespectful. But Sophie loved us. It would break her heart to know how much her death was hurting us. As always, she would be happy if we are happy. And nothing spawns happiness like a new puppy. So I found Pearl the Wonderdog and she performed her first of many miracles the moment we saw her. Just be careful about being in a hurry to pick up just any dog to fill the void. The wrong one will spawn years of unhappiness. I am terribly lonely since my wife's passing three years ago but I know from previous marital experience that there are worse things than being lonely. Picking up a new partner is, unfortunately, not like picking out a new puppy. Puppies are new to the world and anxious to be molded by it. And pedigrees will tell you a lot. Women my age have been molded and cast for good a long time ago. Also it seems that humans are not quite as careful about selectively breeding themselves as they are their pets. Love gets in the way. As it should.

A few jerks on here might demean you for sharing your grief. Don't pay them any mind. Most of us want to help because we are your friends.

Comment

Tip of the hat to RJ. He posted his while I was writing mine.

Comment

Gary,
                  I feel your pain. I'm going through the same thing by Bull Terrier died pretty suddenly a week ago yesterday. He was over 11 and I had him since he was two months old. I'm doing just what RJ and OHH are advising you to do, I am getting a new puppy of the same breed. I too wouldn't consider it immediately afterwards because I too thought it was disrespectful to my buddy who had given me and my family such joy and comfort. I realized that I was getting as much if not more from him than he was giving to me. The house just seemed empty without him. Gary I was right where you are a week ago. Yesterday I sent a check to the breeder and in about a week I will start a new adventure. It seems hard but give it some thought. Once again I'm so sorry and hope you make the right decision for you and your family.

Comment

There is no way to side step the mourning process. If another dog is in your future, keep busy searching for that special one. Never a true replacement for the one you lost, but rather a new addition to bring into the family.

Comment

In my culture a Dog/Friend is buried beneath a Fruit Tree typical to your environment. There is a saying in old Germanic if a particularly bountiful tree exists it's " there lies the Hound". A way to remember your friend that served and continues to serve and provide.

Comment

Gary - My sincerest regrets for your loss. I know it sounds harsh, but I have found that it helps to transfer your affections to a new pet.
                        And remember, all dogs go to heaven.

Comment

Carl, it is just an amazing coincidence but now that I think about it all my dogs to date have been buried under fruit trees! Thanks for that bit of information. Must be some old German in my bloodline somewhere.

Comment

Carl, it is just an amazing coincidence but now that I think about it all my dogs to date have been buried under fruit trees! Thanks for that bit of information. Must be old German in my bloodline somewhere.

Comment

Ya gotta be prepared fur this.. No human being compares favorably to a black dawg. Started looking fur another two years before The Gypsy (rest her soul) passed. Two years later, with the help of an honest genealogy expert/breeder, and I wuz at PDX getting one Ah had waited on fur decades. Replacing mah Ole Lady should be so easy!.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump
                                by Danbo
                                No that's confirmed!...
                                Today, 05:09 PM
                              • Trump
                                by Danbo
                                https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
                                04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by FirstBubba
                                I guess you got that from a unanimous source?

It's no good for (D)'s unless the source is unanimous! 👀...
                                Today, 05:05 PM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by Danbo
                                Breaking news Hillary used FBI , and CIA as her own Gestapo against Trump campaign.
                                Today, 04:18 PM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by Danbo
                                Trump landslide 2020.

Biden asks for 4 10 minute breaks what a bum.

Now Bid en refuses to get drug tested what is he afraid...
                                Today, 04:11 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X