Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you guys deal with a death of a sixteen year old family pet? I only got three hours sleep last night and I can't stop thi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RES1956
    replied
    Don't make the mistake I did when I had to put down my faithful Delilah. She was a yellow Lab who would pick it up if you shot it, regardless of the conditions.
    I quit duck hunting for 3 or 4 years and just didn't have any interest in having another dog, but eventually I got another and at my son's insistence started back duckin.
    My advice is get a new puppy ASAP, for life is too short to go through without a pet or hunting companion.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    OH Maybe just a common love of the out of doors. My Dad would take me through the forest and point out different trees/plants. Something although not educated an affinity he possessed. He always mused that on the first day of school in pre WWII Germany the custom was for the boys to bring a stick. He always brought the best and was the first to get hit. I guess his mind was in the forest.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    The carpenters framed out our new enclosed addition they put every window in but one. The reason being it was quitting time on Friday.
    I placed a screen door up against the open window area because the cat was meowing to go out there to inspect it. I wedged the chair against the screen door so the screen door wouldn‘t fall over. It would be so easy for the cat to jump out the window hole.
    After my cleaning fanatic wife vacuum up every particle of sawdust. I let the cat out and he immediately stood up against the screen door. I then took his picture (profile photo) with my camera. He loved to smell the outside air.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    I still miss every one of my dawgs that have passed on. Sympathies for your loss, amigo.

Leave a comment:

• Old 300
    replied
    If my mom had an account she probably could give you some good advice. About five years ago she lost her mare that she had had for 24 years from collic. And if you do decide to get a new pet do not get it from the humane society. Most of the money they spend is on fighting hunting. The puppies on the commercials are nothing but a ploy.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    BTW, thank you everybody for your kind thoughtful words.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Gary,Rocky,
    I have told this story before. Our greyhound(a washed out rescued racer) had 10 pups - took her all day. In the evening my mother,an R.N., went out to check and found the runt the mother had pushed away under some straw. It was cold and blue. She brought it in, put a drop of whiskey in it's mouth and gave it mouth to mouth resuscitation. It lived and turned out to be the nicest one of the litter. Someone is watching over our pets...

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Sorry to hear of your loss Gary. It is tough and I still have sad thoughts about losing my best friend, a black lab, almost 45 years ago. I don't think there is any easy way to get started but I like to take a walk in the woods with someone who understands the grief and just talk about the good times for a while.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    1. Every morning he came in the bathroom to visit me while I was shaving, brushing my teeth or even sitting on the throne. I always kept the door cracked for him so he could open it.

2. He would stand up while I was sitting on the computer chair and if I ignore him he would bump my arm with your head.

3. He always greeted me at the front door while I removing my shoes or putting them on to go out.

4. He would follow me down into the basement.

5. He loved lying on the carpet in my Trophy Room underneath my bull elk head.

6. He would chased the wild turkeys off are old open elevated wooden patio deck and he would stop on a dime right before the sliding glass door spooking the birds. My wife hated turkeys when would leave droppings on the deck so we had an enclosed patio build.

7. He loved to watch out the windows at wild game, birds, turkeys, school bus kids or people walking by with their dog.

8. He always went to the bed with my wife or me, whoever went to bedroom first. His bed was on the floor next to my wife’s side of the bed.

This may sound like a Paul Harvey “The Rest of the Story”. The pet my wife and I grieve for today, that was found crying inside a trash dumpster as a baby sixteen years ago, was a Brown Tabby House Cat.

Leave a comment:

• Safado
    replied
    RockySquirrel
    That's a great quote!
    Gary Devine,
    Thanks for the post. I hope the advice and thoughts are a comfort to you because they are to me.

Leave a comment:

• RockySquirrel
    replied
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rodgers.

Get a new dog. Look for the runt of the litter, the once with more heart then looks and you won;t be sorry.

Leave a comment:

• ozarkghost
    replied
    My sympathies to you and yours. Having lost 2 dogs to accidents in the last few years I know how you feel. I can repeat much of the above advise but I will only include that you will know when the time is right to get a pup or an older dog. If you are looking for more of a pet than a working dog, look at your local humane society. They have great dogs that want nothing more than to please and be loved.

Leave a comment:

• bigblackdawgz
    replied
    Ya gotta be prepared fur this.. No human being compares favorably to a black dawg. Started looking fur another two years before The Gypsy (rest her soul) passed. Two years later, with the help of an honest genealogy expert/breeder, and I wuz at PDX getting one Ah had waited on fur decades. Replacing mah Ole Lady should be so easy!.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Carl, it is just an amazing coincidence but now that I think about it all my dogs to date have been buried under fruit trees! Thanks for that bit of information. Must be old German in my bloodline somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Carl, it is just an amazing coincidence but now that I think about it all my dogs to date have been buried under fruit trees! Thanks for that bit of information. Must be some old German in my bloodline somewhere.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad