Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm new. So what do you prefer Fishing or Hunting. Bait caster, Spinning reel, or Fly fishing. Hunting Bow or Gun Compoun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new. So what do you prefer Fishing or Hunting. Bait caster, Spinning reel, or Fly fishing. Hunting Bow or Gun Compoun

I'm new. So what do you prefer Fishing or Hunting. Bait caster, Spinning reel, or Fly fishing. Hunting Bow or Gun Compound, Recurve, or Long bow. Bolt action, Break action, Semi auto, Etc. I would like to find out as much as I can about all of you. Thanks, Michael

I do a lot of bass fishing and use both bait casters and spinning reels depending on the technique I'm using. I am also a big waterfowl hunter. i don't deer hunt, i don't think most deer hunter have much skill ( where I come from any idiot can sit in a tree and shoot a deer, I do greatly respect elk, antelope, and mule deer hunters). With that said I have meet some duck hunter that don't know jack squat. Most guys on this site have skill and know what they r talking about, I think. I also love turkey hunting. I spend near 5 days a week in the outdoors.

Comment

Big,
      What do you do??

Comment

On Jan. 1st 2014, the spam filter on F&S deemed me spam and would not let me post even a "Happy New Year to All". I had been careful to not use offensive language and have respect for others on this site. Since F&S did not seem to need my participation, I decided that I did not need F&S. But several days later, the "Online Editors" from [email protected] did apologize for the trouble, so in respect for the work that the Online Editors have done to repair the site, I now accept their apology and hope that they can accept mine for being upset with the site. This site has a wealth of knowledge available in the form of participants. The people here have many years of combined experience which they are willing to share and F&S HAS been kind enough to provide this site "FREE" so that experience can be shared. So Online Editors, I am sorry and apologize that I got so upset with the spam filter and thank you for your work repairing it.

Now to your original question Big Bone Hunter, I first had to explain why I had left F&S for a while. But now I am back. I am a COF (crusty old -art) who mainly participates with fishing subjects. I worked in the research and development department of a fishing tackle company back in the seventies. I helped design fishing reels, rods, lures, trolling motors, boats, etc. In short, I was "PAID" to design and test fishing tackle. Since then, I worked other professions, but I have still repaired reels & rods and taught casting with all types of reels and rods (fly, spincast, spinning, and my favorite baitcast) as a hobby during the past 30 years. I am retired and in questionable health now, but I do live on the gulf coast which allows me to fish year round both salt and fresh water.

My only advice to you while posting here is to respect everyone else here and try not to bash anyone for their opinions. Use language that is not offensive because the eyes that read what is on here range from very young to very old. Understand that advertising pays for this site, so tolerate it, because it is necessary. And from time to time, the site can get broken which is the thing that I got mad about, but the kind staff at F&S do care and will try to straighten things out. While the captcha thing may not always be welcome, it is so much better than the old spam posts that it prevents.

Comment

To answer the question, YES!

Hey Santa; Welcome back!! Your insight on all things fishing is one of the things I tune in for.

Comment

To answer the question, YES!

Hey Santa; Welcome back!! Your insight on all things fishing is one of the things I tune in for.

Comment

Santa, always nice to have a fishing/fishing equipment expert on the site. Welcome back.

Comment

Santa- as the others said, Welcome Back!

Comment

Welcome back Santa! We missed you! You have always provided great advice and even helped me get my outboard motor repaired. Thanks again for that!

Like Santa, I'm retired after a long life of enjoying hunting. I grew up hunting for dinner in a big family. My rather large family including 9 brothers and sisters lived on deer, antelope, pheasants, ducks, geese, quail, rabbits, squirrels, doves and catfish.

I had a commercial catfish license and trapped up to 500 a day. I also trapped mink, muskrat and beaver to pay my way through college and maintained a ranch of about 300 mink to help with that. I've completed a career in software development and enjoyed that much; lots of nice smart people and challenging problems to solve.

I still do a bit of hunting; my favorites being coyote and antelope as accurate rifle shooting plays a part in success. Mostly I fish. I've fished a lot in freshwater rivers, streams and lakes. I had one of the top salmon boats on Lake Michigan in the 70's and caught what would have been a Wisconsin state record had I registered it. My favorite is deep sea fishing for fast swimming fish. I spent years chasing king mackerel out of Jacksonville and have done a few great marlin trips out of Kewalo Basin in Honolulu. I live within a couple miles of one of our best Striper fisheries, Lake Lanier in Georgia and enjoy chasing them all year round.

Welcome aboard and enjou F&S!

Comment

That was a neat read Dakota Man- I suppose to be true to the question asked I should give Big Bone Hunter something similar.

I grew up in Maine hunting deer waterfowl turkey bear grouse coyotes and even a few moose. All of my large game I prefer to hunt with a rifle. Birds and coyotes (in the right application) I'll hunt with a shotgun gladly and enjoy shooting back yard skeet as well. I've now moved to Wyoming and work on a ranch with more lnd than some towns consist of. While my wife almost exclusively trains horses for the ranch's annual sale, I am more of a hand, also helping to work in our gravel opporation.
                    Some of my favorite fishing ranges from trout and salmon on a fly to bluefin tuna on a Penn International 130 set with 45 lbs of drag. My experience on the big water comes from working on lobster boats in Maine most of my life and also doing a multitude of other commercial fisheries. Thanks for finding our site, when you get past the adds and glitches you'll find some of the best hunting and fishing insight on the interweb.

Comment

I grew up in Upstate N.Y. hunting pheasant, rabbits, squirrels, deer and black bear. After College I moved around a lot in the Service. Hunting in Nebraska, the Southwest, and when I was overseas, in the Middle East. Now living in Ohio, I have a place where I hunt deer, small game and shoot coyotes and groundhogs. I also travel to the N.Y. Adirondacks and around Kalkaska, Michigan for more deer and bear hunting. I also have fished for Salmon on Lake Michigan out of Saugatuck,MI. Fishing on Lake Erie is also a favorite past time. I retired some time ago so have plenty of time for hunting, fishing, shooting, riding my motorcycle and a few other hobbies.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad