Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite western novel? For those cold cabin nights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Devine
    replied
    99, remember the movie was made back in 1953.
    I can't remember which one but Siskel or Ebert gave it five star rating.

I think this movie video below when Shane was teaching little Joey about guns was awesome movie scene.

www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/254426/Shane-Movie-Clip-One-s-All-You-Need.html

Leave a comment:

• RJ Arena
    replied
    Well I have put my name on a few books waiting list at the local Library, so thanks for the tips, I hope to read them all but slowly, like to have something to look forward to, especially in February, traditionally a slow month for me.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Gary - That was a good scene, but in the book, Shane was a tall, slim, dark-haired man dressed in black. Alan Ladd was about 5'5,"blond-haired and dressed in tan buckskins.
    In the book, Shane was a smooth-talker who charmed Van Heflin's wife with his knowledge of women's fashions in the big city. In the movie, he was the strong, silent type, a man's man.
    In the book, Van Heflin's character was a huge ox-like character who would have been better played by William Bendix. Van Heflin wasn't much bigger than Alan Ladd, who in real life, once went by the nickname of "Tiny."
    And in a certain brawl scene where Alan Ladd and Ven Heflin are badly outnumbered and fighting for their lives, they are seen smiling at each other after every punch.
    I forget what Jack Palance's character looked like but I don't recall that he appeared as menacing as in the movie.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    99, are you kidding me?
    The Shane movie got four star rating out of five.

Check out this gun fight with Shane and hired gun fighter Jack Wilson.
    I think the Hollywood Director turned up the volume on the gun shots.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDDOd8kGBXo

Leave a comment:

• .30-06Hunter
    replied
    Loonesome Dove

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    One was "Dead man's Walk" about the Gus and Call when they became rangers. I can't recall the other at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• RockySquirrel
    replied
    Del in Kansas; l plum forgot about sin killer and the Berrybenders. Also Lonesome Dove was one of a series, it was the middle book.. I forget the other 2 titles.

Last year I started a series on on the Boseman trail. Then I madee the mistae of loaning it to someone and forgot who. Can’t remember the author but it was darn good too.

Leave a comment:

• Hobob
    replied
    Last of the Breed or the Shadow Riders by Louis L'Amour. Or True grit by ???

Leave a comment:

• Hobob
    replied
    Last of the Breed or the Shadow Riders by Louis L'Amour. Or True grit by ???

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    I started reading Louis L'amour in my Viet Nam days. Even met ol' Louis and got 2 of his books autographed. He is very good. However, my favorite writer is Larry McMurtry and if you think "Lonsome Dove" was good you simply must read "The Sin Killer". After that comes "The Wandering Hill", "By Sorrow's River" and "Folly and Glory". Each picks up where the last one left off. I bought them used on Ebay for a few $. These books (known as the Berrybender Narratives) have not been made into movies and you will realize why when you read them.
    BTW the Spanish Bit series is very good reading also.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    "The Cowboys" by William Dale Jennings. Jennings even includes a glossary at the back to help you understand the Western slang (Guess what "washing out the canyon" means). The movie was pretty good, too, and true to the book. As 99explorer pointed out, that's not always the case.

Leave a comment:

• RJ Arena
    replied
    "The Searchers" is a good read on a cold night.

Leave a comment:

• vasportsman
    replied
    Anything by Jack London

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    "Shane" was a good novel, but just a so-so movie, not true to the novel at all, yet it ranks among the top 100 movies of all time.
    Go figure!

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Forgot to say to Pray-Hunt-Work: Not to be too dramatic, but my own crateful of Louis L'amour paperbacks is kind of like some people's liquor cabinet -- first place I go when I start to feel the edges getting ragged.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Will there be a debate?
    by FirstBubba
    "Even a blind sow can find an acorn if she roots around long enough."

The (D)'s are using Biden as a shill.
    He's the delivery...
    Today, 08:58 AM
  • Will there be a debate?
    by FirstBubba
    President Trump is chomping at the bit to debate "Sleepy" Joe.
    The DNC hasn't cancelled the scheduled debates, but they sure are hem-hawing,...
    08-31-2020, 05:20 PM
  • Reply to Rip -rbg
    by Danbo
    RBG Rest In Peace.
    All it needs to be is 50 + Pence.
    Collins and Murkowski doesn't matter. GOP has 53 plus Pence.

Every six...
    Today, 08:48 AM
  • Rip -rbg
    by fitch270
    2020 adding to it's bag of tricks....
    Yesterday, 09:26 PM
  • Reply to Rip -rbg
    by Pmacc60
    Let’s keep it real , we need to re-elect Trump for the economy , the first and second amendments . More importantly to keep the worst ticket excuse...
    Today, 08:46 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X