4. Merriam turkey - US
    5. Mountain Quail - Idaho
    6. Valley Quail - US
    7. Scaled Quail - SW US
    8. Black Grouse - Russia
    9. Golden Pheasant - China
    10. Blood Pheasant - Kashmir

Comment

If I can steal from your list, and am not persecuted for being a christian in a communist country; 3-5-8-6-7-9-10 would be 1 through 7 of my list to be. Your 3 being my 1 and so forth. Although I've never categorized them like this it is interesting to see.

Comment

I have seen a few videos of peacock hunting in New Zealand. It looks like a hoot. Birds as big as turkeys but act like pheasants. They run a lot but will hold for a pointer. The season is almost year round and anything goes: males, hens, hens on nests, hens with chicks, etc. I guess they are pretty much a vermin there now. One video showed the guys boning the birds in the field. That meat looked white as farm-raised chicken!

Comment

Since the only pheasants I hunt now are what NY state releases, nothing would scratch my upland itch like a trip out to the west or mid-west states.I know I would also want to shoot Huns & Sharptails and while I'm wishing, I'd want to see, but not shoot a Sage Hen. Not knocking anything or anybody, but I would want pass on a crowded blocking/pushing thing and hunt the hedges, edges and thick stuff A wild quail (I don't care where) is on my list too.

Comment

1 Goulds and Osceola turkey (finishes my turkey slam)
            2 woodcock
            3 snipe
            4 Ptarmigan
            5 sage grouse
            6 Praire chicken
            7 mountain quail
            8 partridge

These are the US upland birds still on the list

Comment

I am foursquare with you ITHACA.
              My true bird bucket list is to just get retired so I can sit in a swamp and hunt ducks for a week.

Comment

I'm with ITHACA and Douglas, I'd love to head out to the Dakota's and do some real pheasant hunting. I would also like to do a grand slam on turkey's.

Comment

I am happy with the upland bird opportunities I enjoy here in SE Montana, Sharptails, Huns, Sage Grouse and Merriam's Turkeys. One of these years I'm going to get my elk early in my hunt and spend the rest of my time in the mountains hunting mountain grouse. I also wish I had more time in my busy life so that I could get a bird dog and give it the time in the field it deserves.

Comment

We all seem to be forgetting chukars. I'd love to hunt them but it usually coincides with rattlesnake country/season. It's usually in steep and hunter or dog usually doesn't meet a snake till it's literally face to face.

Comment

Unusual that I would use "unusually" so unusually often in such an unusually short post. Pffft!

Comment

Just finished the top of my list. Just Got back from a South Dakota pheasant hunt. Four of us killed 30 birds in 3 days. we even found a few huns. It was a long way from AL and bitterly cold but well worth every minute.
                        I would like to complete a turkey grand slam in one year. But time constaints won't allow that to happen for a few more years. Plus I would love to chase some of the other quail species. All I've ever been after was bobwhites.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                          by 99explorer
                          CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                          Anybody
                          Today, 01:09 AM
                        • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                          by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                          Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                        • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                          by 99explorer
                          Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                          Today, 12:57 AM
                        • The George Floyd case.
                          by FirstBubba
                          Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                          Minnesota...
                          Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                        • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                          by crm3006
                          My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                          Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X