Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have been doing a lot of coyote hunting lately, and it isn't going to well. I just cant seem to call very many in. I have cal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been doing a lot of coyote hunting lately, and it isn't going to well. I just cant seem to call very many in. I have cal

I have been doing a lot of coyote hunting lately, and it isn't going to well. I just cant seem to call very many in. I have called in 3 since the start of December, and I have made way more sets than that. I know there are coyotes in the areas that I am hunting. I always play the wind. ( always making sure that I can see downwind too. ) I wear camo from head to toe and sit at the base of a bush to break up my outline. I set up in the shadows to minimize the coyotes seeing me. I don't overcall. my entry routes are hidden from where I think the coyotes are. The calls that I use are a primos double dog, buck gardner ultimate coaxer, quaker boy e z howler plus, a quaker boy super screamer, and a flextone mimic. I also have a primos sit n spin. do you have any suggestions of what I am doing wrong or how I can improve my odds?

I am not an expert but would say set up in different places. If a lot of other hunting pressure they may be more skittish. Stay 30min to 45min and if nothing move 150 to 200yds if possible. You might cut back to just a couple calls and see if that makes a difference. Also, the odds might be better at night, first light and last light. The TV shows have two people, one to call and one to shoot - may be worth trying. I took a seminar at a local big box sporting store and that helped a lot. Other than that, sounds like you have a plan. Good luck. Keep trying.

Comment

Certainly keep trying what you're doing, it doesn't sound like any of it is wrong per say. If you're limited to 3 properties, you can't expect positive results 8 days a week. Dawn is by far my favorite time to call, and I'd much rather be eating lunch at noon than calling coyotes. Deep woods is a very hard place for me to call, I usually have very poor results unless it's the dead of night. Wind is usually helpless for me as well. I doubt I've helped you any but good luck.

P.s.- don't expect Randy Andersons calling results unless you're calling in his locations. I doubt as if you've ever seen a pro shoot a coyote video in you're home town... And for good reasons. Difficult scenarios make for poor footage.

Comment

JMO~~ It sounds like your area is LOW in Song Dogs or your not putting out Bait??
        We were gutting out a Hog in the Field and spotted two Yots sitting in the brush line about 60+/-yards out waiting for us to leave.
        Ps: 2 more yots down for the Camp count.

Comment

Are you hunting solo? If so, you are likely calling in dogs that you never see. Try hunting with a partner. The designated shooter should be a bit away from the caller and slightly elevated, if possible. The designated shooter will almost always see more animals than the caller. Take turns calling from stand to stand.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad