Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favote cartridge for elk? What's your favorite cartridge for moose? What's your favorite cartridge for black bear? W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your favote cartridge for elk? What's your favorite cartridge for moose? What's your favorite cartridge for black bear? W

What's your favote cartridge for elk? What's your favorite cartridge for moose? What's your favorite cartridge for black bear? What's your favorite cartridge for brown bear? Would you have any problem killing any of the previously mentioned animals with a .300 Win Mag?

All of the above can be ethically killer with a .300 Win Mag in the right hands. My favorites are as follows:
    Elk .340 Weatherby Magnum
    Moose .340 Weatherby Magnum or 30-06 Springfield
    Brown Bear .340 Weatherby Magnum
    Black Bear .308 Win or .270 Win.
    Anytime hunting around Brown Bears the .340 comes out, anything else in North Americacan be taken with the 30-06.

Comment

I don't hunt brown bears, but for everything I have used or would use my 300WSM with Federal Trophy Bonded bullets.

Comment

I don't think I would hustle off grizzly bear hunting with a .300 Win Mag, but it would be fine for everything else on your bucket list.

Comment

I have successfully hunted all the animals mentioned with a 300 Win Mag. If I ever hunted Alaskan Brown Bear again would probably use my 338 Win Mag. I used to own a 340 Weatherby, but found little better performance than the 338 Win Mag at the ranges these calibers are usually used. The Weatherby recoil, in my mind, was not worth the performance on the occasional long range shot. I have lost count of the Weatherby kisses I have seen hunters enjoy from shots at bad angles with that caliber.

Comment

Probably should qualify my response by adding I do not use muzzle breaks

Comment

Happy - So you choose your poison. Blown eardrums or Weatherby kisses. Great!

Comment

.338 Win Mag does all of the above, with ease.
                .300 Win Mag is marginally better than a .30-'06.

Comment

I have taken Two Moose with my 7mm/08 140GrRem PSP
                  and only One Black Bear with my 243Win/M70 with 100GrBTSP interlock Lt-Magnum by Hornady.

I do believe the 338Win mag is the best all around Caliber for Very Large Game.

Comment

I have shot moose with both the .338 mag and .30-06. I would probably side with CJ on this one though, the .300 win may be a shade light for my comfort level against a grizzly. For all else, it would be perfectly adequate.

Comment

Hunting elk in the timber where shots are under 300 yards and Ol' Silvertip lurks, my personal favorite is .35 Whelen shooting 225 gr bullets. Hunting the Rockies where shots may exceed 3 FSU kickoff returns, I feel better with 7mm Weatherby or .300 Weatherby cartridges or equivalent. As crm30-06 stated, not much difference between a .30-06 and the 300 Win or 7mm Rem mags. No argument with a .338 Win Mag, assuming you can shoot it. I got rid of mine.

Comment

One day when I get to my bucket list and go after moose and elk it will be my .30-06 Ruger I reach for.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad