Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just ate barbecued coon last night using a recipe off the internet.And id have to say it was surprisingly good. My mom even like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just ate barbecued coon last night using a recipe off the internet.And id have to say it was surprisingly good. My mom even like

Just ate barbecued coon last night using a recipe off the internet.And id have to say it was surprisingly good. My mom even liked it. I will post the link if anyone is interested youd be surprised how good it was lol. Anybody else had coon they liked or didnt like or anyother weird critters?

Yep.

Went to Duck Camp when Ah wuz nine and mah ole Daddy forgot the stew meat. It took a hour in freezing weather and it wuz accessible only by boat. So he and mah brudda went up Mallard creek in the boat, lookin fur food and shot a young coon and Tar made his first retrieve at age one and a half. The stew wuz excellent. Unsurpassed. Ah wood order it at a restaurant.

Mah other brudda shot a nutria and we grilled it and it wuz offle.

Comment

That would probably be considered a delicacy in China.

Comment

Ate a porcupine once. Wouldn't recommend it.

Comment

I had raccoon a number of years ago. It wasn't my favorite. I suppose it's like bear, it depends on what it's been eating. I'll have to try it again. Young ground hog is excellent. Muskrat is excellent. Beaver is as well. If you like liver, don't throw the kidneys away when you down your next whitetail. They are equally good.

Comment

Somebody asked the late Jerry Clower if he really ate possum when he was a kid. His answer was, "absolutely." However, he did add that once he got to where he could afford a rib eye from a young, fat, corn fed, yearling bull, he much preferred that. This would be my response regarding 'coons.

Comment

My family ate a lot of raccoons when I was young (my dad was an avid raccoon hunter) and I must say I liked the meat. The most important part is getting ALL of the fat off of the meat - it is the fat that gives the meat a really strong odor/taste. We would then cut it up in chunks and can it. We would add a small handful of beef lard to the top of the jar before closing the jars for the canning process - this would absorb most of the remaining strong taste. Then you discard the lard (or feed the birds, etc.) when you open the jar. We would process beef and deer in the same manner with equally good results. I have eaten beaver and muskrat in a "pulled pork" style BBQ and it was excellent.

I remember an old Mississippi River Rat and Commercial Fisherman once confided in me that he had tried eating just about every animal he ever shot or trapped and the only one that he found completely inedible was a red fox. On the other hand he was the guy who gave me the coot recipe that I mention elsewhere on another answer....

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad