Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My trail camera took a few photos of a coyote moving during the warm day light hours. The coyote has the mange disease. He doesn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My trail camera took a few photos of a coyote moving during the warm day light hours. The coyote has the mange disease. He doesn

My trail camera took a few photos of a coyote moving during the warm day light hours. The coyote has the mange disease. He doesn't look good and chances are he will not survive the winter. I posted this coyote's photo in the F&S; Trophy Room and the same photo link is in my first comment. My question is can this coyote contaminate other animals feeding at the same bait pile of dry dog food such as bears? Does this disease only affect other members of the canine family? Anything you guys want to share or add about the mange disease, I would appreciate it. Thank you!

My trail cam photo below shows a coyote with the mange disease. He is missing fur on his body and tail. He is also thin.

www.fieldandstream.com/photos/trophyroom/recent/single?bonnier_photos_maintype=%2A%2AALL%2A%2A&fil ter0=%2A%2AALL%2A%2A&filter1=%2A%2AALL%2A%2A&filte r2=%2A%2AALL%2A%2A&page=0

Comment

Mange and other parasites are already on all mammals, including you and me. They tend to take over after the immune system has been compromised.When that happens,the skin infection gets worse, further overwhelming the immune system, etc., making the animal susceptible to any kind of disease, including those that are transmissible by saliva, urine, and feces.

Comment

Mange is caused by an uncontrolle growth of mites and can be transfered from one animal to another that are in close proximity to each other. if you are concerned about the coyote , shoot it if you can and destroy the carcass. Also in some late stages of rabies animal take on that scruffy look so be careful.

Comment

The only animals that I have had to destroy during my career that have had the mange are dogs, foxes and coyotes. I have never seen it in any other animals. On another note the most misleading report that I used to get was that someone saw a raccoon that had the rabies. 99.9% of them had distemper, just like your tame housecats get , and people thought it was rabies. It would eventually kill them.

Comment

Sorry guys, this link is the photo of the daytime coyote with mange.

www.fieldandstream.com/photos/trophyroom/recent/single?pnid=1001499615#1001499615

Comment

Gary, I've been seeing a lot more coyotes with mange in South Dakota over the last two years (maybe as much as 10% of them). Most I have seen have no fur at all. They typically die when the really cold weather hits. They do pass mange to each other but typically not to other animals as I understand it.

Comment

I did a quick spin through cyberspace and it looks like any animal that can harbor mites is susceptible. That being said close contact is a big part of transmission. Like lying together in a den so I don't think the bears on the bait are in great danger. Which is good because keeping coyotes off a bear bait would be well nigh impossible.

Comment

Guys, thank you for your comments.

Chuckles, I feel better now.
                  I wouldn't want to hurt the bear population with a mange infested coyote hanging around the bait pile.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad