Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are everyone’s thought on eye dominance? Growing up we didn’t know or learn to shoot via eye dominance, it was all done by

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are everyone’s thought on eye dominance? Growing up we didn’t know or learn to shoot via eye dominance, it was all done by

What are everyone’s thought on eye dominance? Growing up we didn’t know or learn to shoot via eye dominance, it was all done by feel and comfort. As my shooting developed and learned about it I always figure I was right eye dominate. For kicks the other day I did an eye dominance test and it turns out I’m left eye dominate (was miffed about that). I feel like I am a good shot with all my weapons of choice (shotgun, rifle, bow) and I haven’t had accuracy or consistency issues that a little work on form didn’t fix. I feel like I am going to keep shooting right but I would like to know, what would be the advantages of switching? Has anyone else gone through switching or known someone who did? Was it worth it?

I have the same situation - right eye dominant. I shoot everything left hand. I tried shooting right hand and I just do not shoot as good, so I stay with shooting left. I always have shot left, except in the military they made me shoot right, so it was no big deal to keep shooting left hand.

Comment

I am left eye dominant and shoot ambidextrously with regard to my eyes but right handed, always. When using a long gun, I sight with my right eye With handguns, my left, when possible. I also work in law enforcement, so I will sight a handgun with my right eye when shooting from around the right side of cover.

In my experience, unless there is a very significant difference in your ability to use the non-dominant eye, you should just use whatever is more comfortable. Most people will automatically do this anyway. If there is a large difference, when you try switching to the dominant eye, you will find your target acquisition and grouping improves dramatically.

Shooting right handed and left eye dominant with a handgun is easy - just move the gun over a couple inches to the correct eye. Obviously this does not work with a long gun.

Comment

My eldest is left eye dominant and being LEO, must qualify quarterly.
        To see that child shoot a shotgun is painful!
        BUT!... qualifies in to top five every quarter.

Eye dominance is important, but doesn't necessarily dictate shooting "handedness".
        Shoor in the manner that's most comfortable or proficient for you.

Comment

Ah keep both eyes open until Ah know range and trajectory, then Ah close the dominant left eye. Seems to work fur me. Or mebbe it's just the Citori."Citori" is a Japanese word that means "This gun doesn't miss!"

Comment

I'm right handed but left eye dominant. It got me in trouble with a shotgun so I finally switched. I shoot a right handed rifle left handed too. I just pick up the sight picture better. I shoot a pistol with my right hand and left eye. It all seems to work OK.

Comment

My grandson writes right handed, bats right handed, throws right handed , shoots a basketball right handed but is left eye dominant. I gave him a Tikka T3 Lite right handed gun and he shoots it left handed and has learned to handle the right handed gun very proficient. He learned at a very early age . I think it is very hard to switch the older you get.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad