Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which power do you prefer for a hunting scope, 2-7 or 3-9?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My choice depends on the type of rifle and caliber as to what scope I would use. For short range calibers like a .30-30, .35 Rem. or .45/70 I woul go 2x7x33. If I have a caliber with decent ballistics like a .270, .308 or .30-06 I would go 3x9x40. Also if using a short rifle like a Remington model 7 or Ruger M77 compact I would go 2x7x33 again.

Comment

My choice depends on the type of rifle and caliber as to what scope I would use. For short range calibers like a .30-30, .35 Rem. or .45/70 I woul go 2x7x33. If I have a caliber with decent ballistics like a .270, .308 or .30-06 I would go 3x9x40. Also if using a short rifle like a Remington model 7 or Ruger M77 compact I would go 2x7x33 again.

Comment

Personally, people should be considering the new 1-6x or 1-8x optics. Covers everything a 2-7x and 3-9x but better. If you're willing to drop more coin? Get a Swarovski 1.7-10x or Leica 1.5-10x.

I like to opt for more low end magnification. Most of my hunting shots are under 75 yards so I really don't need more than 5x. Lower magnification is better at stalk/driven hunting. Difference between 2x and 3x for me is quite noticeable. When it comes to 7x or 9x, the benefit of the higher end is lost on me beyond bench shooting since I rarely need it. For someone hunting cornfields and out West, that might be a big thing.

But regardless, I never quite understood why the 3-9x became the "definitive" hunting scope in the US. It's too much low end magnification and the high end magnification is rarely used.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Putin Joke
          by rock rat
          I'll sneak in a Trump joke.
          ​​​​​​

What is the main difference between a chickpea and a kidney bean?
          Donald Trump has never paid...
          Today, 07:11 PM
        • Putin Joke
          by rock rat
          Putin joke
          Putin dies and goes to hell, but after a while, he is given a day off for good behavior.

So he goes to Moscow, enters a...
          05-08-2022, 04:45 PM
        • Reply to Putin Joke
          by rock rat
          Viktor Orban, Marine Le Pen, Paul Manafort and Donald Trump all go out to a bar. Who picks up the tab?
          Vladimir Putin.
          Today, 07:09 PM
        • Reply to Putin Joke
          by rock rat
          What will Vladimir Putin be remembered for?
          Turning the world’s second most powerful military into the second most powerful military in Ukrai...
          Today, 07:07 PM
        • Reply to Wolves and Mountain Lions
          by bowhunter75richard
          If our bandicoot thinks there are enough wolves to put a dent in the feral pig population, it is impossible to think that thought could enter the brain...
          Today, 05:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X