Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which power do you prefer for a hunting scope, 2-7 or 3-9?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which power do you prefer for a hunting scope, 2-7 or 3-9?

Which power do you prefer for a hunting scope, 2-7 or 3-9?

The majority of my hunting can be served with a fixed 4x scope. I have 1 3x9x40 on my .270. Everything else has a fixed 4x.
    Of the two scopes you mention, the 2-7 would suffice for all my applications.

Comment

David Petzal just wrote an article on this over on the gun nuts blog.

Comment

Kinda depends on what your putting it on. Crossbow, pistol, shotgun or rifle?

Comment

For all of my deer rifles I have 3X9X50's on them. I use 50's to gather more light at dawn and dusk in the dense woods that I hunt in and on overcast days.

Comment

This scope would be used for 200 yards, or less, deer hunting and possibly elk hunting. And would 7x not be enough power for shooting at -/+ 300 yards?

Comment

Jack O'Connor believed that a fixed 6X scope had the most magnification that a big game hunter would ever need.
              He preferred 4X for all-around use in hunting big game.

Comment

I have a savage .300 with a K2.5, .223 4X16, 45/70 4X, 22-250 6X24, 30-06 3X9, .308 6X18, .50ML 2X7, 30-30 3X9, .17WSM 4X16, 30-06 2X7, .223 1X4.5, .225 4X12, .300WbyMag 3X9

Comment

The 3x9 has been the most popular scope, but as others have said, it depends on the application. I'll assume this is asked for a bolt-action rifle in a centerfire caliber suitable for deer.

If I had to hunt in thick woods, maybe with the occasional shot up to 200 yards, then a 2x7 is plenty of scope... and especially if I want to hunt elk in addition to deer. I think the 2x7 is plenty of scope for an eastern or mid-west whitetail rifle. If I had to hunt in much of the country where most of the time I could get a shot from 100 to 300 yards, then the 3x9 would be fine. I think the 3x9 is sufficient for western deer and elk hunting in open country, with the occasional coyote thrown in when the deer and elk season is closed.

I have rifles with scopes of both powers, having shot coyotes at several hundred yards' distance at 6x, and a running deer at 20 yards at 3x. To be honest, if a 2x7 isn't enough magnification, then a 3x9 won't be either... and if 3x is too much magnification to get a good shot off, then 2x will also be too much.

Comment

Here are the last five scopes I have purchased:
                    VX-3, 2.5x8x36
                    Nikon P-223, 3x32
                    VX-R, 2x7x33
                    FX, 2.5x20
                    Nikon Prostaff, 2x7x32
                    I just find that the smaller scopes make for a better handling rifle and for the hunting I do are more than enough magnification. I only use the high end at the range. In the field they all stay at the lowest setting.
                    When I lived in Colorado I cranked up my scope once in 15 years to make a shot. Normally you don't have time or you forget when you are focused on getting a shot off.
                    M.A.T my advice is to buy a scope for the 99% of the shots you will take not the 1%.

Comment

3-9.

Comment

I stated above that I use 3X9X50 scopes and the last 10 years I have killed approximately 14 deer with that scope and it has never been off 9 power. I have one scope that is a 4X12X50 and have killed 4 deer with this scope and it has never been off of 12 power. Of course I don't shoot at running deer so I don't need the lower power. My .22 rifle wears a 3Xx9X40 scope to. My thinking has always been that "you can't hit what you can't see" and in my golden years my eyes "ain't what they used to be". The reason Jack O'Conner and the early writers believed that they only need fixed power scopes was because the variable power scopes of those times were suspect at best. If they had access to the quality variable power scopes that we have today I'm sure they would have had different thoughts.

Comment

Normally 3-9 but if it is on something slow or for very dense brush, the 2-7.

Comment

I have a 2-7x Leupold on my .308 and 3-9x, 3-10x, or 3-12x on the other big dogs. I would put a 2-7x on my .257 Roberts if I had one lying around, so in the meantime the 3-9x stays put. I keep all of them set on 3x or 4x all the time anyway unless I have a long shot and/or require use of the ballistic reticle(s) which is calibrated at a specific power setting mark.

Comment

There are a lot of 2.5x10 Leupolds around my house, but when I am serious about whacking whitetails, the 7/08 m70 is my choice and wears a Leupold 2x7 with heavy duplex reticle.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                                Today, 04:39 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by 99explorer
                                Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                                Today, 03:02 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                                Today, 02:39 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                I am most pleased with the Barrett confirmation, now we only need to see the fallout from the D’s. With the reelection of Trump, probably not too much...
                                Today, 01:18 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X