Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone on here bought a used scope off the internet? If so, what website did you buy it from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone on here bought a used scope off the internet? If so, what website did you buy it from?

Has anyone on here bought a used scope off the internet? If so, what website did you buy it from?

Yes, several off eBay. Only scopes that have an unlimited factory warranty like Leupold or Burris.

Comment

Thanks WAM. I was a bit wary of ordering from E-bay, but since I'm looking at Leupolds with the Lifetime Warranty I guess it doesn't matter.

Comment

Several for me too. From ebay and gunbroker. All from rock solid warranties... Leupold and Vortex. I've had problems with two of them. A hard to turn magnification ring on the Leupold and numerous focus and tracking issues on the Vortex. Both vendors replaced the scope. The previous owner of the Vortex had tightened rings too tight and crushed the tube. Vortex sent a brand new scope overnight. You can't go wrong with these guys as long as you don't mind a little remediation when necessary. I've saved thousands on my scopes and am able to install much better scopes than I could had I paid full retail price for them all. I could throw a bum Nightforce in the trash and still be money ahead if I desired.

Comment

Although there's still one thing that makes me not want to buy from ebay.com : lying(but in some cases maybe just stupidity). Because I was just looking at a Leupold "VX-3" 3.5-10x50 on ebay.com . I started looking at other pictures of it, and there was one of the gold ring. The gold ring said "Vari-X III", which is a completely differant scope than the "VX-3".

Comment

I purchased two new Redfields and a Leupold from Midway USA, and they've been very reliable for me.

Comment

I bought a couple of Burris scopes from www.opticsplanet.com with good results

Comment

M.A.T., you make a good point. That is why it is good to see plenty of pictures of the scope you are buying. Some have scratches or marks. In most cases, I don't think the sellers are being deceitful; they typically just don't know the difference.

Which of the two you mentioned do you feel is superior? I've used the Vari-X III for 1000 yard shooting for years and can't imagine the VX-3 being better but haven't shot it and would like feedback. I think I'll post a question to see if anyone has a recommendation. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much as I expect both to be top notch. They both have great glass and a 3x magnification factor.

Comment

DakotaMan,
                  I consider the VX-3 better the Vari-X III for following two reasons: The Vari-X III has been upgraded twice(the Vari-X III was dicontinued in 2004), first to the VX-III than to the current VX-3, and the new VX-3 has newer, brighter and clearer lenses.
                  The Vari-X III is a fine scope, but if I'm going to $400 for a scope I don't expect to the clarity and brightness of Leupold VX-2.

Comment

They aren't USD bud you can get some REALLY good deals on www.budsgunshop.com. And check out their optics page.

Comment

Call it OFS, I have a real problem paying hard earned money for unseen items.
                      I shop some on the internet, just not individuals.

Comment

Thanks MAT.
                        FirstBubba... it is hard earned money that drives me to reducing the cost of scopes and rifles I buy. These are products of known quality. A Leupold VX-3 3-9x40 in matte finish with a duplex reticle is the same regardless of where you buy it. It if has damage from the seller, ebay will stand behind it and get your money back (never had a need for this assurance).

If the product is defective and doesn't perform as well as any other of they same type, Leupold, Vortex, etc. will replace or repair for FREE. I've got a bunch of scopes that I bought for around half price. Each looks like new and performs like all other scopes of its type. If I want to look and feel, I can do that by visiting a store before I buy. They are ALL the same. When it comes to getting the most out of my hard earned money, I can get what I want and buy an extra rifle and scope to boot.

Then again, I am the type of person who will take a controllable risk to advance when I would otherwise have to maintain the status quo. I may take a step back once in a while but over the long haul I advance.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad