Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm wondering if they still serve S.O.S. in the modern army mess halls. That's creamed chipped beef on toast. Guys complained ab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm wondering if they still serve S.O.S. in the modern army mess halls. That's creamed chipped beef on toast. Guys complained ab

I'm wondering if they still serve S.O.S. in the modern army mess halls. That's creamed chipped beef on toast. Guys complained about G.I. food, but I loved that stuff.

Must confess have loved S.O.S my whole life, in the Army and afterward. Stoeffer's Frozen Foods makes a reasonable facsimile. I prefer it on sour dough toast.

Comment

That's why it was known as Fort Swill, Oklahoma

Comment

I liked it too. The first time I ate lamb chops they were fixed so good I thought I was eating pork tenderloin. The Air Force served lamb chops a lot while in the States and I loved them. A lot of the guys said they didn't like them but I think it was just the thought of them. I still like good lamb chops. I ate a whole lot worse in Korea and Vietnam.

Comment

I hated the stuff.

Comment

Wow.... I just flashed back to when I first ate it. It was okay at first then I had cold sweats and tunnel vision running for the john.

Comment

Loved the stuff and learned early on not to insult the Mess Sergeant by calling it gravy. I still make my version at home every once in a while at my wife's request would you believe!

Comment

I always enjoyed eating it. My wife never had it before she meet me, I make it for her and she loved it.

Comment

I liked the stuff. It was definitely better
                  than some of the "delicacies". Especially in
                  Nam. Never knew the make or model over there.
                  But, I survived. :-) BC

Comment

Filled you up and stuck to the ribs. I liked it.

Comment

They still serve it, but the biscuits that they put it over could also be used as a hockey puck.

Comment

I make this quite often. Great meal in my book

Comment

I was house-sitting a couple of weeks ago with a former staff-sergeant just out of the Army, and one day I was looking for something to cook for lunch and I asked him if he ever had SOS. He said he had no idea what SOS was, so I cooked him a plate and he took one bite and said that it was amazing. So my guess is it is no longer fed to the troops, but it is still an amazing meal.

Comment

At Fort Dicks N.J. It was call S**t on a Shingle We had it every day at mess after PT.Yuk!!

Comment

Treestand, SOS= S**t on a Shingle or Same Old S**t. SOS is just a way of saying that and won't get you wamped by your mama or wife if you say it in public.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by 99explorer
                                CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                                Anybody
                                Today, 01:09 AM
                              • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                                Today, 12:57 AM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by crm3006
                                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                                Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X