Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A landowner said I could have his metal windmill. It was broken and the top of it lays on the ground, disconnected. The part tha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• santa
    replied
    Since I assume that the tower is constructed of galvanized metal and I have had a lot of experience with burning and welding around "hot dip galvanize" metal, here is my two cents worth. First, if you have no experience with a cutting torch, you will damage tips with rust popping back and you will also be dealing with zinc oxide fumes. Though I have been told by experts that zinc oxide is actually safe when in a well ventilated area, (one of the white creams you see people put on their noses at the beach to prevent burning is zinc oxide), I personally have experienced what most welders call metal fume fever from it. Next the transporting of heavy bottles of acetylene and oxygen may pose a problem. It would be easier to use a battery powered 4.5 inch angle grinder and both cut-off wheels and grinding wheels to remove the rusty bolts. Splitting of the nuts with the grinder would be my prefered method, but it can be done with a simple chisel and hammer. There are even commercial built nut splitters.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Lay it down and attack the frozen bolts with an angle grinder. Number the pieces as you disassemble so they can be reassembled in the correct order.

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    Torch would be easiest, you could probably do ok with a 4 inch grinder (even a cordless). A heavy mallet and chisel, although labor intensive, would work to. Just cut the nut in on one side and you should be able to pop it off.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    A torch.

Leave a comment:

• bayouwoof
    replied
    www.fieldandstream.com/photos/trophyroom/recent/single?pnid=1001492695#1001492695

Leave a comment:

• bayouwoof
    replied
    Of course, Ah kin substantiate mah claim of being knowledgeable regarding metalworking with this photo of mah Jeep project with The Gypsy (rest her soul) drivin.

//www.fieldandstream.com/photos/trophyroom/recent/single?pnid=1001492695#1001492695

Leave a comment:

• bayouwoof
    replied
    Taking inventory of my own tools, I would select the oxygen-acetylene cutting rig. It would cost practically $0 for a job that small, and would take less than 10 minutes max.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    You would need a cutting torch. I know you can't beat FREE but a 14'Try pod stand is $150.00.
    Check out www.sportsmansguide.com

Leave a comment:

• Pray- hunt-work
    replied
    Torches. Sawzall and 50 metal blades. Grinder and 10 cutting wheels and a generator.

Leave a comment:

• RJ Arena
    replied
    Hot knife.

Leave a comment:

• A landowner said I could have his metal windmill. It was broken and the top of it lays on the ground, disconnected. The part tha

A landowner said I could have his metal windmill. It was broken and the top of it lays on the ground, disconnected. The part that I want is still bolted into cement. This segment is approximately 14 ft high, so it would be a perfect tower stand. How could you cut it, since the bolts have rusted over.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad