Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried using an old copper penny to remove minor surface freckling from blued guns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried using an old copper penny to remove minor surface freckling from blued guns?

Has anyone tried using an old copper penny to remove minor surface freckling from blued guns?

I have heard of using an old nickel or penny. Theory is that the copper is softer than the steel. Never tried it.

More commonly, you always hear of using Flitz with minimal pressure and a soft flannel cloth. You might need to "polish" all the metal to get it all to match, but as long as the gun wasn't cold-blued you shouldn't remove too much if any of the finish. Maybe try it under some wood first, if possible?

Comment

Try some OOOO steel (brass if you can find it) wool soaked in fine oil - Rem Oil, 3 in 1, etc. Light pressure and blend with surrounding area.
      Also, might try steel wool with some vinegar or Coke. Have not tried that but have heard it may work. I have also used a machinist eraser but that is also with light pressure.

Comment

I tried it last week, and it works much like a brass brush.
        Using the edge of the coin enables you to target those small rust spots more precisely, and any tiny rust particles can be brushed away, rather than being rubbed into the surrounding area.
        The pennies made before 1982 were 95% copper, while those made after that were mostly zinc, coated with a thin plate of copper.
        In any case, light pressure is the rule.

Comment

Tinfoil dipped in water removes rust really well with a little bit of water. I don't know if that would work for your gun, but good luck.
          Seth

Comment

I've always been afraid of damaging the bluing so I use Flitz and the Big 45 Metal Cleaner for cleaning/polishing.

I've found these products to be exceptional at cleaning or restoring gun bluing. Big 45 seems to be like steel wool with cutting edges but it really works much better with no scratches or damage to bluing. It really cuts serious rust and stain when necessary.

Flitz soaks in and removes stains and rust while it polishes and protects. For restoring really messy finishes, I use Flitz on a dremmel buffing pad. I don't mean to be a salesman for these products but over the years, they have earned a spot in my gun care kit because I really like their results.

Comment

I'm going to remember this for the future

Comment

I use Flitz sparingly because, although it doesn't remove any of the blue, it makes the metal excessively shiny.

Comment

99, you are right. The bluing will be fairly shiny just like it was recently oiled. If you don't want that finish, you can use the Big 45 dry or with Rem Oil or any 3-in-1 oil. It really cuts stains and rust.

Comment

I used Flitz vigorously on my Smith & Wesson Model 66-1 to polish up some of that dull no-glare stainless steel finish.
                    It now looks like it is nickel-plated.
                    I consider it an improvement.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad