Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well.... Just got my first duty station and im up here in good ole ft.drum... Most seem to cringe when i say ft.drum. Especially

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well.... Just got my first duty station and im up here in good ole ft.drum... Most seem to cringe when i say ft.drum. Especially

Well.... Just got my first duty station and im up here in good ole ft.drum... Most seem to cringe when i say ft.drum. Especially in the dead of winter. But being a backwoods kinda guy from illinois i see this place as a outdoorsmans paradise of sorts if i play my cards right. Trouble is ive never been this far north or east. The easiest thing for me to regularly do up here would be fish and hike and camp.. But i could use some pointers!! What lakes/rivers/creeks etc should i hit? How? What are my target fish? Fly? Or rod and real? And what are some good places in the Mts. To go to for hiking and fishing and such?? ANY and i mean any tips are appreciated. I see this as a new outdoor challenge!!... Once an outdoorsman, always an outdoorsman.

P.S. Im into snowboarding and skiing

Comment

I presume you are also into the Mountain Division stationed there?

Comment

basshunter94, the reason people cringe when you say Ft Drum, is that years ago the Army did a study to find the perfect place to do winter training. Surprisingly they found out that Ft Drum had a colder average winter temp and higher average snow fall than either of the bases in Alaska. Hope you have a good time off duty there. THANK YOU for your service as well!

Comment

Basshunter, you are on the fringe of the Adirondack Park, 3,000,000 acres of State Forest, much of it designated forever wild. Much to do in the area. To the West is the St. Lawrence which has some excellent fishing(bass and muskie among others) out of Cape Vincent, Alexander Bay and Clayton. If you can make a longer trip South to Pulaski, there is a salmon run on the salmon river. Skiing is to the East at Tuper Lake, Lake Placid has Whiteface Mountain(Olympics held there twice) further East if you make the longer trip is Vermont. Stow, Mt. Snow(ski bunnies go here), Mad River Glen, Killington and more. I have skied at all these places.
          For a long hunting trip, save your leave and book a hunt on Anticosta Island in the Gulf of St.Lawrence. That would be a fly in trip. The deer herd has been confined to the Island for Centuries and were not hunted until the '70's.
          There is a reason the 10th Mountain Division is stationed at Ft. Drum - you are in the snow belt of lake effect snow from Lake Ontario. I have snowmobiled due South of Drum (Drum used to be called Camp Drum) and the area got about 375" of snow a year. Make the best of your stay and enjoy all the activities you can.
          Good Luck.

Comment

I love fishing Black Lake which is not too far from you. Lots of bass, walleye, pike, channel cats, crappie and big bluegills. Though big game(deer & bear) gun season just ended, there is snowshoe rabbits up there and turkeys in the spring. Check out small sporting goods stores for guides and NY Game wardens will help you find open public land.

Comment

I knew someone who was stationed a Fort Drum, back in the day when it was known as Pine Camp.
              He said it was the coldest place on this planet.
              Good luck.

Comment

Thankyou all for the great replies i appreciate all the help much! Good luck to yall this winter

Comment

Constableville (C-ville) just got over 40" of snow in two days. That was the area we snowmobiled South of Ft. Drum.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad