Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is every one weathering Winter Storm Cleon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is every one weathering Winter Storm Cleon?

How is every one weathering Winter Storm Cleon?

Wrangling in at -29 below zero, it couldn't be more of a paradise.

Comment

Spent most of the early stages shoveling and plowing snow. Now with the bitter cold the last few days I have spent a good many hours crawled under peoples houses thawing their pipes out. Luckily I have plenty of firewood, it is putting a damper on my start of trapping though.

Comment

Colder'n a witch's titty.

Goin down to 8 degreaze tonite.

Comment

Woof' 8 degrees is a heat wave. It's -14 and dropping here.

Comment

it is absolutely freezing here in IL. I freeze every time I go hunting, and I haven't seen a single deer since the start of the 2nd gun season.

Comment

Weathering it, that's about all, wishing Arkansas knew how to handle the 4in dusting we got. The roads look like they did after a 3' snowstorm we got when I was growing up back in Mass. Only nice thing is most of the drivers stayed off the road so far.

Comment

Pray-Hunt-Work -

Yeah, they wood be breaking out the suntan lotion back in Montana where Ah yousta live.

Ah wuz there in the worst Winter in the hstory of whiteman inna 18' travel trailer.

Gypsy (rest her soul) wuzz ecstatic after leaving Arizona.

We hunted something evva day, and she wood start the day by eating a lotta snow!

Comment

Yessir Mr. Woof - I can imagine that was a bit brutal in a camper. I've seen 37 below zero with not a breath of wind. But -29 with a 10 knot breeze was a little more than I care for from horse back.

Comment

12/7/13
                    Lo 11
                    Hi 20
                    12/8/13
                    Lo 20
                    Hi forecast sez 24

Comment

jdwood where are you in AR? I am in the northeast part.

Comment

I hunted pheasants Thursday afternoon at dusk. Windchill was -30 to -40. I believe it was the only day of the season I finished empty handed. Saw two roosters and should have shot one but couldn't feel the trigger. Was pulling on the front of the trigger guard. Next day the wind abated but still -25. I shot my limit of three roosters but got wet in the process. Broke through the ice a couple of times. I have some frostbite on the outside edge of my right foot but not bad. However there now seems to be some concern the bone was frozen too as there's not much meat on that part of the foot (right at the base of little toe). Then I drove 28 hours to get home to Ontario. A brutal drive with the cooling system on the fritz. Difficult keeping the rig warm. I think the thermostat is sticking. In the middle of the night I pulled into a closed up truck stop in the N Dakota oil patch to get out of the wind and relieve myself. Heard a moan and discovered a transport sitting there abandoned with a load of cattle. The wind was howling! I drove off but after about ten miles turned around and went back. Pounded on the truck to make sure no one was there (that I could kick the sh*t out of!) then I called it in to the cops. Yeah, I know those cattle are bound for the slaughter house anyway but they deserved a better end than freezing to death in a metal box full of holes. Haven't heard back about it.

Comment

Sunday here in the eastern mountains of WV. 7 inches of snow and now freezing rain on top of the snow.

Comment

February 17, 1979 we were snowmobiling near Old Forge N.Y. and the low temp was -52F. So cold the power lines near our cabin were perfectly straight and some broke themselves. Could not touch anything metal or you froze to it.
                            It warmed up to -30 and we thought there was a heat wave. Snowmobile's ran fine but a new car I had at the time would not start until about -25.

Comment

We occasionally get -50C days here. When it gets that cold I have to go out with the dogs and chase them into the yard. Otherwise they'll just poop on the back step. Guess I'd do the same thing. Hard to believe the native people survived this weather hunkering down in leaky birch bark huts. Brrrr.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad