Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a digital camera on the market for a beginner that doesn't cost an arm and a leg but is good for nature photography?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a digital camera on the market for a beginner that doesn't cost an arm and a leg but is good for nature photography?

Is there a digital camera on the market for a beginner that doesn't cost an arm and a leg but is good for nature photography?

Most decent ones will cost at least $225. You'll be able to hook it up to your computer and send pics to friends and us.

Comment

there are lots of good cameras in the $200-$300 price range. stay with the brand names that have been in the camera business for years (Nikon, Canon, Pentax) and you'll be OK. remember too, with a new digital camera will come software that will allow you to edit your pics too. i'm on my third digital camera in the last seven years two were/are the small, point&shoot, fit-in-your pocket styles and one is a single lens reflex digital. i've gotten published pics with both kinds.

Comment

Canon is a very good camera and they have very good lenses. If you are looking for a camera to take wildlife photography you'll need to make sure you pick a camera than can accept telephoto lenses. The EF lenses from Canon are very good and the nice thing is you can continue to upgrade your camera thru the years and the EF lenses will continue to work. I have lenses that are 10 years old that I'm using on my new rebel eos.

Comment

Forgot to mention, I've found Tokina lenses to be the best 3rd party lense maker. You can get these a whole lot cheaper than Canon, Nikon, etc...

Comment

would second jay's post about tokina lenses for slr digital. great product line.

Comment

That depends on how portable you want, and how much you want to spend.

My wife does computer graphics, so we've been digital since they first came out.

My rule to save money... buy "last week's" technology. Digital cameras are hitting the point where the human eye can't tell the difference anyway, or designed to crop the photo to keep resolution.

Get a B&H catalog, it's huge and full of everything digital you want. Don't get confused by zoom. Optical zoom is clearer, unenhanced zoom. most cameras incorporate (either with or without optical) digital zoom, which is a fake pixelation that can cost resolution.

The best shirt-pocket model for the cash is my FujiFilm J10. 10x optical and 8.2 MP. It will zoom farther than that, but that would be digital.

My best-for-money digital SLR was also a Fuji, an S5000. 5 MP is considered a bit old by now, but not only is it 10x optical, I bought a 1.5 telephoto adapter. So I get great shots at 15x zoom optical.

Yes, Canon and Nikon have the more current technology, and secondary lenses are available, but at a high cost.

Go through a B&H catalog, or scan Best Buy, etc, for what you would consider a good tech/money ratio.

Comment

An arm and a leg are different price ranges to different people. Right now a cheesburger at a fast food joint seems like it costs an arm and leg to me. A few months ago I bought my wife a Cannon Power Shot with 9 MP and 10X opticle zoom for $375 including tax and a full warranty that covers the camera if I get mad and bounce it off a brick wall. We've been very pleased with this camera.

Comment

I have had good luck with my Canon Powershot S5IS. Wasn't terribly expensive, around $250 I believe, seems to take good pics.

Comment

Get one with a decent amount of zoom. The extra zoom will cost more but it is worth it.

Comment

Nikon Coolpix

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to lightfoot lindsey graham
                        by jhjimbo
                        Jack and Mike are comming to D.C. tomorrow.
                        Obama investigation and related investigations is being quarterbacked by Barr.

Congratulations...
                        Today, 11:58 AM
                      • lightfoot lindsey graham
                        by crm3006
                        Fox’s Lou Dobbs slams Lindsey Graham, ‘betrayed the American people’

October 24, 2020

Fox Business’ Lou Dobbs had some harsh...
                        Yesterday, 08:19 AM
                      • Reply to Rest Easy
                        by jhjimbo
                        Best way to take the heat off AR type rifles is to show more pictures of AR's with game taken in various hunting articles, show more AR's in the hands...
                        Today, 11:51 AM
                      • Rest Easy
                        by jhjimbo
                        Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                        Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                      • Reply to biden corruption! This is some serious stuff.
                        by crm3006
                        "So SANTA is fake"

Oh ye of little faith, and an overload of cynicism! Santa exists, and is proven to exist, every Christmas! Santa...
                        Today, 11:32 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X