Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone had any expierence mounting Leupold Standard Rings and Bases? I got set of Leupold Standadard Rings and Standard 2-pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone had any expierence mounting Leupold Standard Rings and Bases? I got set of Leupold Standadard Rings and Standard 2-pi

Has anyone had any expierence mounting Leupold Standard Rings and Bases? I got set of Leupold Standadard Rings and Standard 2-piece Bases for my Savage 111 in the mail yesterday, and when I tried to put the front dovetail ring in the base it wouldn't turn into place. The instructions say you should gently turn them 90 degrees. Am I just not turning hard enough or am I doing something wrong?

I've used them. They usually turn but if they are stiff, I'd suggest using a 1" piece of pipe or a large dowel to break them loose and get them turned 90 degrees and back. Once you break them in and turn them a couple times, there is less chance of damage to your scope. I wouldn't power them around with my scope EVER!

Comment

Def do not use scope to turn the ring, use dowel or broom handle. Make sure the front aligns perfectly with rear, lest you tork the scope tube and possibly face a ruined scope.

Comment

Dakota and RES1956 are right on about not using your scope. The other thing I recommend is a set of alignment bars. Those rings almost have to have them as it is easy to slightly mis-align them when turning the front in. Wheeler Engineering makes a good setup for mounting scopes.
        Also you should lube up the base of the ring lightly to aid in turning, Make sure it is all the way into the base and turn slightly past the spot where you want it and then turn it back to straight. This is where the alignment bars really help.
        Good luck. My mounting kit has already paid for itself many times over since most places want 50 bucks to mount a scope in MN.

Comment

Everyone above is correct and never use the scope to turn the rings. I have a Wheeler scope mounting kit with alignment bars that work great for this. Also if they are real stiff, I add just a dab of gun oil to help with the friction. This usually will do the trick. And yes, go a few degrees past where you want to be and then turn the ring back to center. The big thing is to be slow and do not get in a hurry, that is a quick way to twist off the dovetail. Good luck and be carful with the mounting

Comment

I have installed quite a few...and screwed a couple of them up. The best method I have used is to put a small crescent wrench on the bottom of the ring to turn it and you usually have to turn them HARD at first. Also on those bases the windage screws have a tendency to loosen over time, pay extra attention to getting the notch in the ring lined up perfectly with the windage screws and that will help you a lot.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad