Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you guys prefer range compinsating reticles like mildots, BDC, etc. or a classic reticle like a Duplex, German #4, etc.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you guys prefer range compinsating reticles like mildots, BDC, etc. or a classic reticle like a Duplex, German #4, etc.?

Do you guys prefer range compinsating reticles like mildots, BDC, etc. or a classic reticle like a Duplex, German #4, etc.?

I have Nikons with BDC on all my rifles and 1 pistol. Except the 17HMR, it shoots so flat the BDC is not needed.

Comment

I prefer a Duplex on something like a 2-7x or 3-9x for hunting in timber. Its quick for target acquisition, highly visible and I can estimate my holdover out to 500 yards by memory with no trouble.

If the rifle has larger magnification (e.g. 20x and beyond) is accurate out to 400 yards and beyond or is used for small varmint hunting, I like to have aiming points on the reticle for very precise aiming.

For 1000 yard type hunting I like an MOA reticle with hash marks sufficient for about 30 MOA like the NightForce or Vortex EBR1. Mil-dots are fine for out to about 700 yards but they are too fat for very long range work.

BDC (bullet drop compensating) reticles (that vary the distance between dots for longer ranges) such as that on Rocky's Nikons are very nice for rifles that don't go beyond about 700 yards. I use one of those on my 30-06. You don't have to remember holdovers with them, just windage. The goofy Nikon circles bug me but I've learned to live with them.

I use graduated reticles for range finding too where quick shots are necessary and I don' have time to use my range finder. That isn't usually a problem but a few years ago I got a 500 yard antelope that would have been gone in 4 seconds. I thought she was 700 yards away as she turned to look back before stepping over the ridge. At three seconds, she had a hole in her heart. This included all the time it took to get a rest, range, aim and shoot. It is hard to hit that accurately with best guess holdover and windage and there is no way I can range that far with my naked eye.

Comment

I agree with DakotaMan's first paragraph.
        Everything after that is not applicable to me.

Comment

Standard heavy duplex has always served me well, sight in 1 1/2" high at 100 and hold on hair whenever, if you shoot under the deer, he was too far to be shooting at anyway,,,
          I have neither the skill nor desire to shoot at any game at 1000 yards, if I can't get closer than that it is time to stay in camp and cook for those who can.

Comment

I use a bushnell DOA 600 on both my 30-06 and my LR 308. After practicing and learning to use the range finding reticle and BDC I wouldn't ever go back. It's one of those changes that veterans don't want to make,but I have seen many shooters fall in love with it after practicing with it

Comment

I don't do any extreme long distance shooting so it is Duplex for me on everything.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad